Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 86 Replies
2 moms liked this

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
My receipts and mail are everywhere
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Best organizing advice I can give is to de-junk ! :)

cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM
It's weird because I'm super ocd about some things and horrible with other things.
Ds's school room is clean, everything is labeled, everything has a home, it's cleaned daily. Yet my mail gets thrown wherever
bether89
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I tend to have piles here and there.  I am constantly working to break this habit.

Teacher101
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

We have piles in different places, but we know what goes in what pile. LOL.

I am one to throw stuff out a lot, DH tends to hold onto things a bit longer....

Mommynwife26
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I need my play room/tv room organized! It drives me nuts that puzzels and such are just in random boxes. Our home is organized except that room and the garage!
aimhawk
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I wish I had room for everything to have its own place, it would make my life so much easier! Closets are packed full of things and so are the extra cabinets, its not junk stuff either, its stuff we use!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I do but piles still eventually crop up.  I would like to get more organized, particularly in the laundry room, their playroom and in the kitchen.

AstuteMama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I have piles of papers all over the place. I can spend a whole day in the container section/store. I didn't make any resolutions this year.

Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I need to start decluttering... The office is terrible, I have a whole corner of stuff that is just stuff that  Idont know what to do with and I have a china cabinet I keep saying I am going to get rid of... But its full of stuff I just dont know waht to do with and all the closets are terrible except my bathroom closet.. But you cant even walk in my walk in closet in my room... The linen closet is mostly organized... As in each shelf has a certain item(s) that go on that shelf and its sort of put where it goes.....

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN