Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Thanks for this post .I need to get organized.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM

My house is already organized. I get really ticked off if I can't find something I need, so it's better to have a place for everything and everything in it's place.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Making our entryway into more of a mudroom has helped a lot... We got a basket for mittens and gloves, hooks for all the jackets, a storage bench for all the big stuff, shoe racks, etc. I still need to make a place for mail and for keys, though... And the other little things that pile up when you come in the house.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM

We get a little cluttered especially on the dinning room table.

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

We are working on getting better organized & cleaning out the office will go a long way to achieving that. Things do have their spot, as long as we are good about putting them there.

4kidz916
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I hate piles and clutter but sometimes when life gets hectic they do start to form.  

tableof6
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

If I could get the people in our house to put things where they belong it would be organized

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I am not an organized person
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I am anal about being organized. I hate clutter.

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I do have a place for everything.My closet.Lol.Its a mess.I have been spending the past week cleaning and getting rid of things

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)