Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Piles crop up, I have good intentions then I go to work and life gets in the way I am tired already when I get home and then all of a sudden here are piles I have to do things with.

De Junk would be my #1 best tip.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I have a room that most things belong in but that's about as far as I've ever gotten.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I do not have a place for everything or at least, it's not always where it should be.  I would love to set a goal to get organized more this year.  I think it would make me happier if I were.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I am mostly organized. My closet gets messy sometimes but not too often.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

LOL ... this is funny to me because I'm so guilty about shoving something in the hall "storage" closet and walking away ... yet the rest of my house is really neat and organized... I hate clutter for any reason ! ....

KaylaMillar
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Everything has a place. I'd get way to overwhelmed if it didn't
sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I have lots of piles......I definately need to go thru things, do a filing system or something and get rid of clutter.....slowly working on it and hoping to keep at it.

spitfire06
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Help! Not everything has a place and we are under construction and my dh hates that im pissed about tools being everywhere.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My home is far from organized.  I need to go through and clean my counter tops today =)

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I have a place for everything for the most part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)