Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

in generally i'm pretty organized but i do have a box in my closet, that i admit is overflowing now, with papers that need to be sorted/filed/tossed.  it was my intent over break to do just that but instead the piles grown.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Redoing my kitchen is a goal I have and that is where the most clutter is because we simply do not have any cabinet space to put anything.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I'm pretty organized....not a fan of clutter, at all.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I think Im doing pretty good..Im not super organised but organised enough to find my stuff

Anniea90
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I am working on it. It is looking a lot better. :)

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I'm working on the everything has a place thing. We have soooo much stuff and always seem to be getting more but I'm slowly trying to get proper storage for everything. I'm having DH build me shelves at work out of scrap wood (don't worry his job doesn't care as long as you ask for the wood). Alsom I am trying to aquire more storage bins and better organize what I have and often that is involving getting rid of stuff.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

piles pile up but i try to tackle them every so often. its hard in a small house

momofmany86
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We have so many piles of papers that I need to file away. *sigh* I'm working on it today. Slowly.

BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I like to file my reciepts and I organize everything on my desk to make my life easier & more efficient .

tiarra7022
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I have just started getting my house in order. So it tends to still become a pile since I dont have it all figured out yet. We are moving in 2 mnths so I figured its the best time to go through everything and start getting rid of  things we really dont need

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)