Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Rushn311
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Most places have a spot, others I am working on LOL

amyjane22
by Amy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Getting organized is one of my goals. I'm getting better, but need to work on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kbug3
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Sterile house, clean floors and counters and bathroom - cluttered desk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

we are always organising lol...

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I do not have a place for everything but I am getting there lol.

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I'm pretty organized actually. I'd like to organize our closet this year though

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Agree

Quoting Wish2Be:

Best organizing advice I can give is to de-junk ! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There are a few spots in my house that could use some extra help. 

simple_ole_me
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! I started last week decluttering. I'm making my way through the house -- one inch at a time. I've been doing good the past few days, but I'm feeling really overwhelmed today. I don't know why. I took a break from the house and now I'm focusing on our finances. I just purchased Quicken 2013 and I took out my neat scanner and now I'm trying to organize that part of my life as well. I think I'm trying to do to much at one time ... which I guess is my #1 advice: don't do what I'm doing right now because I'm going CRAAAAAZY. Pffffft! I need organization ... and a life coach! Seriously.

On a brighter note, I did this last night. I wish I had a before picture. I couldn't even open the drawer. So, yes, this little tiny drawer of mine made me feel 1209838593 times better once I cleaned it out. 

I did something else the other day that I'm rather proud of, despite how tacky it may look. I needed some sort of "control center" for when we walked in the door. So, I took our old computer desk and rolled it into the mudroom. I velcroed a bunch of dollar store plastic containers on the pullout keyboard tray and then used my awful sewing skills to sew a curtain to cover all the junk in the desk and a matching basket cover (yeah, my sewing sucks!). We're rather poor, so I had to improvise. Ha. If it keeps my life together, I'm going to say it's worth it! My husband thinks it's ugly, but who cares what THEY think, right?

I'm making 2013 THE year to get my darn life in order!

maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I need a professional organizer to come help me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN