Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
tatoo
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I have a basket on the counter for my bills, important papers i need to get to and my return address stickers.

I have another basket on the floor in the kitchen area for my magazines. This seems to work well for me although i have a pile of certain papers on my table! I guess we all do!

I have 3 drawer plastic holder with files in the bottom that I put my paid bills, insurance ,etc.

I like to use small  plastic containers and  for things in my linen closet,too.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

yes. We have to be organized because run a business out of our home. Everything has a place and 95% of the time that is were  it is.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

receipts are something we are very careful with. We have to keep track of all of our business expenses and keep them separate from our home expenses

Quoting cjsmom1:

My receipts and mail are everywhere

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

me either

Quoting ceciliam:

I'm pretty organized....not a fan of clutter, at all.

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I love your siggy!!

Quoting EbonySnow:

I'm working on the everything has a place thing. We have soooo much stuff and always seem to be getting more but I'm slowly trying to get proper storage for everything. I'm having DH build me shelves at work out of scrap wood (don't worry his job doesn't care as long as you ask for the wood). Alsom I am trying to aquire more storage bins and better organize what I have and often that is involving getting rid of stuff.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

thank you! Which one? I use a rotator.

Quoting alliesmom112:

I love your siggy!!

Quoting EbonySnow:

I'm working on the everything has a place thing. We have soooo much stuff and always seem to be getting more but I'm slowly trying to get proper storage for everything. I'm having DH build me shelves at work out of scrap wood (don't worry his job doesn't care as long as you ask for the wood). Alsom I am trying to aquire more storage bins and better organize what I have and often that is involving getting rid of stuff.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM
That is my number one organization advice. I use it on my kids too. It needs a place. If it doesn't have one then it goes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BomberJenny
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM
You gals make me feel so normal!! I thought I was the only one with a huge pile of mail.. My kids room spotless but my closet a cluster fudge...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I used to be super organized, but the older I get, the more scatterbrained I seem to be.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM

This is a great idea!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Making our entryway into more of a mudroom has helped a lot... We got a basket for mittens and gloves, hooks for all the jackets, a storage bench for all the big stuff, shoe racks, etc. I still need to make a place for mail and for keys, though... And the other little things that pile up when you come in the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)