Group Home

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (81-86):
JerseyGirl511
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Since I separated from my husband and now have my own place, I have gone through all belongings before putting things away and have donated quite a bit of items and clothes, so right now everything has it place.  My desk area always seem to get cluttered, but only because I procrastinate in dealing with paperwork sometimes.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

We're well-organized.

slightlyperfect

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I need to organize
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I places things are supposed to go, but things like paperwork tend to pile up until I feel like filing it.

teesoloca
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

yes i do

sometimes i get piles

no, im pretty organized

my best advice would be that you know where everything is located

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Organized in some areas, not in others. On the first of every month I either clean out a drawer or a closet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.