Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: The one organization resolution you need to make

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being organized. I can spend hours in the Container Store. I could surf and read every single post over on Zenhabits. I am obsessed with it. Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm always the most organized banana in the bunch. I too have my days (er, months) when there are piles, clutter, moments of "where did I put that XYZ." And I know why this happens. It isn't because I haven't abided by some great organization mantras, like ‘Have less stuff." Or "Put items away right after you use them." Or even the ever-popular-yet-hard-to-follow "One in, one out" rule.

I do these things...and more. My problem? I don't follow the A-number-one-best.home.organization.tip.EVER: Everything needs a place. For everything, and I mean everything, you need a place. And shoving it along side something else and then quickly slamming the cupboard door to prevent it from falling back out doesn't count, folks (ahem, I'm sooo guilty of that).

I don't have a place for everything. Which means piles start, well, piling up, and we all know clutter begets clutter. I need to look at the closets, the cupboards, how I have stuff arranged to figure it out, so it's a system that works better for us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you have a place for everything...or do piles crop up? Is getting organized on your goals for 2013? What is your best organization advice?

©iStockphoto.com/mjunior

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (81-86):
JerseyGirl511
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Since I separated from my husband and now have my own place, I have gone through all belongings before putting things away and have donated quite a bit of items and clothes, so right now everything has it place.  My desk area always seem to get cluttered, but only because I procrastinate in dealing with paperwork sometimes.

SlightlyPerfect
I've seen some people recover from financial bankruptcy, but I've yet to see someone recover from intellectual or moral bankruptcy.
Today at 6:33 AM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

We're well-organized.

slightlyperfect

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I need to organize
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I places things are supposed to go, but things like paperwork tend to pile up until I feel like filing it.

teesoloca
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

yes i do

sometimes i get piles

no, im pretty organized

my best advice would be that you know where everything is located

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Organized in some areas, not in others. On the first of every month I either clean out a drawer or a closet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN