Group Home

Smarter Mom: Family resolutions made simple

Posted by   + Show Post

We often think of resolutions as a grown-up thing to do. Something for the over 21 set, those of us that can see rated R movies and are buying age-defying creams. But the funny thing is, many of our resolutions involve our little ones - whether it is to be healthier so we can keep up with them, making more time to be with them or finding a new job to provide for them. See? They are a part of this whole resolution shebang.

So, why not make family resolutions? Okay, tough to do with that newborn, I'll give you that but, for those that are even three, four, five, 12, 16...make a few goals for 2013 you can tackle together. The great thing? Kids see how reaching a goal and sticking with it takes time and a little teamwork. Need a few ideas?

-- Get healthy. Try one new healthy recipe each week for Sunday family dinner. Have everyone be a part of it: little ones can draw what veggies you had that night, while the older ones can look in the cookbooks or online for a meal everyone will like.

-- Get moving. Have a dance party or go on a family walk at least five times a week or invent a game for the background or in the basement you play after dinner.

-- Expand your world. Go check out a new museum exhibit together, say, every month or have a New Discovery Day every other Saturday (or whenever), where you (somehow) pick a country or artist or musician and learn more about it together with crafts or a trip to the library.

The main trick for keeping these going all year? A white board hung on the fridge with the goals and places to them off. Simple!

What goals do you make as a family?

ŠiStockphoto.com/peskeymonkey

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We dont have any but I like this idea and will have to think of some. 

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM

save money

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Neat idea!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

We are trying to spend more time together this year.

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Very good idea. This is something we should discuss as a family. I'd like to see us get outside together more often (once it warms up again) and start doing family devotions. It'd be interesting to see what the boys think we should do.

4kidz916
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

saving more and eating even more healthy this year

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

We don't.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

We always do this... Usually twice a year actually.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I think the only goal that would fall in that category is eat healthier. My dh wants to so we are all going along for the ride.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

These are great family ideas.  I need to try a few of them.  We didn't make any family resolutions.  Perhaps we should.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80