Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drive Thru Surprise

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

As we can probably all agree, the element of surprise is one of the greatest feelings. When I think of a surprise, I immediately think, "What can I give that someone special," or, "What can I make that someone special?" In some circumstances, we even think of a surprise visit for that someone special. Those things all tend to be predetermined and maybe even somewhat planned. For example, you most likely know that you will be getting a present from you mom, husband, child, etc. You probably think you know what it is, and expect there may be one or two surprises. However, why not think outside the box a little?

As we can probably all agree, the element of surprise is one of the greatest feelings. When I think of a surprise, I immediately think, "What can I give that someone special," or, "What can I make that someone special?" In some circumstances, we even think of a surprise visit for that someone special. Those things all tend to be predetermined and maybe even somewhat planned. For example, you most likely know that you will be getting a present from you mom, husband, child, etc. You probably think you know what it is, and expect there may be one or two surprises. However, why not think outside the box a little?
'Tis the season, right? Why not think of a completely new way to surprise someone, someone you may not know, in an unexpected place, and maybe even not necessarily at Christmas time.
Today, when I was dropping my son off at school, I decided to treat myself to a pumpkin coffee at Dunkin Donuts, yum! I love coffee, and I love the pumpkin coffee this time of year! When I was in the drive-thru line, I had an idea. Why not pay for the person behind me? I have no idea who they are, they don't know me, and I will most likely never see them again, but what greater surprise! This would most likely be the biggest shock to them, and maybe they will do the same for a stranger someday as well. Spreading positive feelings, kind hearts, and giving, that is what the season is about! If you don't drink coffee, maybe buying the person behind you their soda at the gas station, or paying for a tip at the table next to you in a restaurant.  Of course, if it makes you feel more comfortable, make sure you know just what they ordered, that way you don't end up buying 50 dollars worth of coffee!
This random act of kindness is a new level of surprising someone. As you drive away, look out of your rear view mirror.  Notice the smile on their face, and that will make it all worthwhile.
Is this something you have ever done, or thought of doing?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyTeki
by Nikki on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I haven't done it before but I love the idea. Such a small act of kindness could really make someone'a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

We saw a soldier sitting alone at Steak and Shake last week and paid for his meal, but we left before he knew.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

well shopping in Macy's this year ... I left the balance of a gift card ( not much just over 11$ ) to be used by the next guest in line.... I knew I wouldn't be return to the store for a long time ( its over 3hrs from my house ) and felt it would make the person behind me stop smile and maybe pass on the happy feeling to someone else. You never know when your going to brighten someones day !

cara124
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Thank you ! thats an awesome thing to do . I wish more people would respect what they do for US .

Quoting elasmimi:

We saw a soldier sitting alone at Steak and Shake last week and paid for his meal, but we left before he knew.

4kidz916
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

That's very sweet.  My daughter is a waitress and had a table that did that very same thing a couple of days before Christmas.  She said it was so heartwarming.

Quoting elasmimi:

4kidz916
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I haven't done this but I have thought of it and if I ever have some extra cash with me, I intend on doing it.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM

sweet 

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I have given food to a homeless person in front of a store. I went in bought a couple premade meals from the deli and gave them to him.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Quoting cara124:

well shopping in Macy's this year ... I left the balance of a gift card ( not much just over 11$ ) to be used by the next guest in line.... I knew I wouldn't be return to the store for a long time ( its over 3hrs from my house ) and felt it would make the person behind me stop smile and maybe pass on the happy feeling to someone else. You never know when your going to brighten someones day !

That's a good idea - I know there are times I'm using a gift card for a place I won't get back to any time soon.  I'll have to leave it for the next person if it does happen.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I still remember the time when I was 8 or 9 and we were out to eat someplace, with all 6 of us kids, and an older couple went up to my parents & said "What a nice family you have. Take those kids out for ice cream." and gave my dad money to take us out for ice cream.  Which he did a week or so later.  That was ~35 years ago & I still remember that random act of kindness.

I haven't ever thought of paying for someone else's coffee in the coffee drive thru lane - but then I am rarely ever in a coffee drive thru lane!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN