Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Out With the Old, In With The New

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

Santa was very good to my kids this year, which was great...but also means we have a bunch of new toys to find room for in our small and crowded house. We've started a new tradition in the few days after Christmas, which we call The Big Winnow.

What that means is we have the kids go through all their old toys and books and decide what to donate, and what should just be pitched (fast food meal toys, random pieces of stuff that belong to toys long gone, etc.). My daughter (8 years old) did a great job....my son (4 years old) needed a little encouragement. But the upside is that we now have tons of space for all the new toys, and a good idea of what we might need to get to store everything neatly (so....many....Legos). Clearing out old toys also means that these new ones won't end up forgotten in an overfilled basket or bin and are easy for the kids to get to on their own. And everything has a place, which makes cleanup faster.

Some people think kids should have the final say over what stays and what goes; other people (me!) think parents should. I've had too many experiences of trying to reason with a kid who insists that a toy he hasn't touched in six months is his favorite in all the world to allow them final say, although since my daughter is older, she gets a little more latitude.

Do you do a post-Christmas purge? Who decides what stays and what goes?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

we usually do .. however this year we will see what we can put back for later to give to the new baby once he gets older ..

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I did that too next year our elf will take a toy back every night for santa to fix to donate to kids who need them

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I do .. and will soon I hope  :)

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah! We do a pre-christmas purge! 

BeachMommy07
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I did.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
We tried to do a pre-Christmas purge... It wasn't that successful. I tend to attach sentimental value to anything that was a gift, so it's hard for me to help DS figure out what to purge... We need to give it another shot, though!
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We got rid of some toys for a toy drive. I plan on getting rid of a few more things. There is no reason for them to keep toys that they never play with anymore, that's the stuff I try to get rid of.

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM

we have been doing it all month and will continue we have put a ton of stuff out front for free for others to take

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM
We do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:34 AM

no we don't...i usually try to do it throughout the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)