Smarter Mom: Out With the Old, In With The New

Posted by   + Show Post

Santa was very good to my kids this year, which was great...but also means we have a bunch of new toys to find room for in our small and crowded house. We've started a new tradition in the few days after Christmas, which we call The Big Winnow.

What that means is we have the kids go through all their old toys and books and decide what to donate, and what should just be pitched (fast food meal toys, random pieces of stuff that belong to toys long gone, etc.). My daughter (8 years old) did a great job....my son (4 years old) needed a little encouragement. But the upside is that we now have tons of space for all the new toys, and a good idea of what we might need to get to store everything neatly (so....many....Legos). Clearing out old toys also means that these new ones won't end up forgotten in an overfilled basket or bin and are easy for the kids to get to on their own. And everything has a place, which makes cleanup faster.

Some people think kids should have the final say over what stays and what goes; other people (me!) think parents should. I've had too many experiences of trying to reason with a kid who insists that a toy he hasn't touched in six months is his favorite in all the world to allow them final say, although since my daughter is older, she gets a little more latitude.

Do you do a post-Christmas purge? Who decides what stays and what goes?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-58):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Oh yes we have to lol I go through ds's toys and give to charity to make space for the new ones

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM

have a couple things i need to try n sell

mommyto3bees
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

i do that before christmas!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Started yesterday!

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

not really but need too

ReniaEats
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I do the Christmas purge pre-holidays. My boys have birthdays in November and January so it's three months of TONS of stuff coming in. The rule is simple: no free shelf space, no new stuff. So they choose what to donate and what to throw away at the end of October each year so they each have a shelf or two empty for the new stuff coming in.

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I do a pre- and post-Christmas purge!!

I decide what stays and what goes, for the most part.

gavinsmommy311
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

As long as they are comfortable with getting rid of things they don't play with anymore then I would go ahead and get rid of the toys. Let them know they should appreciate the things that they already have and some children are not as fortunate . My son was the o ne who brought that up to me and I was so proud of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: