Smarter Style: Color of The Year

Posted by   + Show Post

Pantone, the people who provide professional color standards for the design industries (which basically means they are the ones who define what, say, "true red" means in a print ad, fabric swatch or even a car color) have named their color of the year for 2013. And it is, drum roll please....

Emerald!

That translates to a nice, bright, clear, medium green. Think, well, emeralds, or a well-kept lawn, or the felt of a pool table. The Pantone people call it the color of growth, renewal and prosperity. "Most often associated with brilliant, precious gemstones, the perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious." the press release announcing the color says.

Apparently they spend a lot of time looking for color influences all over the globe, as well as thinking about socioecnomic trends, hot artists, and more, in order to come up with each year's defining color.

I like it, personally. That shade of green is a pretty, restful color which flatters more people than not, looks good with a lot of other shades, and is comfortable to live with. Last year's color, Tangerine Tango, was electric and vivid, but most people can't wear it and look good, and it makes a statement in decor rather than harmonizing. There was a trend toward tangerine lipstick which even the gorgeous model types I most often saw wearing it could not pull off...green eyeshadow, liner or nail polish, though, would look nice on most people used judiciously. If you like it, buying some accent pieces in this shade would be a good idea...it's seasonless and soothing.

What do you think? Will you be wearing emerald this year?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
aidansmommy219
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM

yay...emerald is my birthstone. 

lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Sure. I think it goes well with my skintone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I think the color is very pretty but I'm not so sure I'd wear it.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I love emerald
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It is my favorite color!  So excited to see it more. 

chinosruca
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I don't like green of any shade on my body. Ever. Not in jewelry, makeup, or clothing. I like green though. I have nice green curtains, couch cover and a towel set in a deep green.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Medusa686
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Green is just ok with me. I have only 1 item that is green and that is a green sweater that I rarely wear.  The only time I liked emerald is when Angelina Jolie wore the emerald earrings to some awards show.  The earrings looked great on her. 

wooly
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Nope! I'm not a green person and I would look awful in that shade!

unusualmom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM

No.  My fave color is gray.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I just bought a few shirts in this color palette in the past few months LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: