Group Home

it's affected me more than i thought!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 21 Replies

all the horrors that have become so common in our society today tug greatly on my heart strings.  when i hear of tragedies like columbine, aurora, newton, etc. my heart goes out to all those directly affected by the horror.  but as with most of us that aren't directly affected by such tragedies my life goes on as normal.  continuing on with my false sense of security that such things could never happen in my little world.  i'm sure i'm not alone in that feeling.  last night however i realized i'm more shaken by everything that's happened than i realized. 

last night my daughter & i went to the movies to see les mis.  there were a couple dozen people in the theater with my daughter being the only one under 20.  it was a fairly large theater with three sections, most everyone was sitting in the middle section with a few couples sitting to the right of the screen.  toward the end of the movie two young guys, late teens i'd guess, came in & sat off to the left of the screen.  they were very noticable because no one had left during the movie.  they kept looking around the theater & just gave me an uneasy feeling.  to the point where i started to have an anxiety attack.  my daughter noticed something was up with me because up until then i was singing along, quietly, with the movie (i've seen the theater show too many times to count & know the score by heart =).  i found myself looking at the door a few rows behind me, watching the boys, contemplating leaving.  being really on edge with thoughts of all the recent horrors running through my head.  my daughter kept looking at me with a puzzled look & trying to figure out what i was looking at.  after about 10-12min the boys got up & left.  but i found i couldn't relax the rest of the movie.  i was still thinking of leaving.  thinking of all the what ifs.

nothing happend of course, otherwise this would be a very different post, but i hated how i felt.  i've never had anything like that happen before.  i always thought i was "ok" with all that's happened but i guess it affected me on a level i never realized before.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It's kind of made me feel helpless.  I can't be with my kids every second of every day but, even when I am if someone really wanted to hurt them they could.  It's so scary. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM
The men who hijacked the planes during 9/11 gased up their cars right by my house that morning. Nine houses away at Cumberland Farms where I take the kids for slushies. It bugged me for a while. Still does at times. We live close to New Town. I am participating in an event being held for them. It is so hard. You have to keep going or you will go nuts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

group hug

Quoting lizzig:

all the horrors that have become so common in our society today tug greatly on my heart strings.  when i hear of tragedies like columbine, aurora, newton, etc. my heart goes out to all those directly affected by the horror.  but as with most of us that aren't directly affected by such tragedies my life goes on as normal.  continuing on with my false sense of security that such things could never happen in my little world.  i'm sure i'm not alone in that feeling.  last night however i realized i'm more shaken by everything that's happened than i realized. 

last night my daughter & i went to the movies to see les mis.  there were a couple dozen people in the theater with my daughter being the only one under 20.  it was a fairly large theater with three sections, most everyone was sitting in the middle section with a few couples sitting to the right of the screen.  toward the end of the movie two young guys, late teens i'd guess, came in & sat off to the left of the screen.  they were very noticable because no one had left during the movie.  they kept looking around the theater & just gave me an uneasy feeling.  to the point where i started to have an anxiety attack.  my daughter noticed something was up with me because up until then i was singing along, quietly, with the movie (i've seen the theater show too many times to count & know the score by heart =).  i found myself looking at the door a few rows behind me, watching the boys, contemplating leaving.  being really on edge with thoughts of all the recent horrors running through my head.  my daughter kept looking at me with a puzzled look & trying to figure out what i was looking at.  after about 10-12min the boys got up & left.  but i found i couldn't relax the rest of the movie.  i was still thinking of leaving.  thinking of all the what ifs.

nothing happend of course, otherwise this would be a very different post, but i hated how i felt.  i've never had anything like that happen before.  i always thought i was "ok" with all that's happened but i guess it affected me on a level i never realized before.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I find myself doing that too.Casey anthony lived in the next sub division.Caylees body was found across from my girls' school.That really hit home.This world is crazy and I am always looking around more now and observing people

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM

things like that do make you leary now a days.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I would have been uneasy too that was odd.

btw what did you think of the movie?

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

loved it!!  not as good as the theater experience, there you just feel the emotions rolling off the actors & you become part of the story, but it was still wonderful.  it is one of my favorite stories, even though i had to trudge my way through hugo's novel.  & the music is just........

we saw a special pbs aired a few months ago for the 25th anniversary & my daughter fell in love with it so when she found out they were making a movie she wouldn't stop bugging me to take her.

Quoting EbonySnow:

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM

we saw it Christmas night and just adored it. I have never seen the stage show though I was vaguely aware of the story. I thought it was just amazing, so intense. My DH said "thats not entertainment, that is art." I must have spent half the movie crying though.

Quoting lizzig:

loved it!!  not as good as the theater experience, there you just feel the emotions rolling off the actors & you become part of the story, but it was still wonderful.  it is one of my favorite stories, even though i had to trudge my way through hugo's novel.  & the music is just........

we saw a special pbs aired a few months ago for the 25th anniversary & my daughter fell in love with it so when she found out they were making a movie she wouldn't stop bugging me to take her.

Quoting EbonySnow:

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:32 PM

It's very sad that we have to feel that way =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80