Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My GAPS journey

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 48 Replies

Today, my son and I are starting the GAPS diet.  He has Asperger Syndrome and misses being able to eat anything he wants (gluten).  I have an egg sensitivity (gives me migraines) and I miss eating eggs.  This diet is supposed to heal the gut lining so you can eat almost any type of food.  It also teaches you good eating habits, so even when your gut is healed, you won't want to eat the unhealthy stuff all the time and hopefully, the gut will stay sealed and your flora will stay in balance.

I'm using this post to share the struggles and victories that come on this journey.  You can comment if you want, but don't feel obligated =)  Maybe our journey will help you, too!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Never heard of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

never heard of it before but good luck and keep us posted :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Glad you are sharing,
Good luck to you both :)

Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Day 1.  I weighed in this morning at 155.4.  I'm not doing this for weight loss, but I expect that it will be a side benefit.  I also did measurements on my waist, hips, and thighs last night.\

The introduction diet starts with eating completely homemade soups and broths, with probiotic juices added in.  I made chicken broth yesterday with a whole chicken.  I saved 1/2 of it to drink as is.  The rest I made into a soup.  I added some stir fry veggies an blended them in after cooking thoroughly.  When it was done, I added some of the chicken back to it and heated it through.  I let it cool a bit and added some yogurt to my bowl.  It was very yummy.  I had to let it cool so the good bacteria in the yogurt would not be killed.

DS took 2 bites of his soup and didn't want it.  I added juice from my sauerkraut to his and my 2nd bowl.  I'll have to make more broth yet today, because our soup is almost gone already.  Hopefully, we'll be able to move to step 2 within a couple days.  Soup will get old really fast when we're used to variety!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Havent heard of it but good luck!

newmommy430
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I'm not a member of this group, but the title of your post caught my attention.

My son autism. He has also always had digestion issues. He was on medication for severe reflux for the first year of his life. We currently have him on a gf/cf/sf diet and it's helping a lot.

I have been thinking about putting him on a GAPS diet. From what I've read, it could heal his stomach and he may not have to be on such a restricted diet in the future.

I would be interested in reading about your experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

What is the GAPS diet?

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM

interesting, i look forward to reading your and your ds's journey!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM
never heard of this diet. can you share more about it or post a link?
Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

i never heard of it, but good luck! i hope it works for you guys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)