Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Make Those Resolutions Stick

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

We're getting into the reality of the new year...kids are headed back to school, you're back to work if you were lucky enough to get a break, etc. Which means you're probably facing down the list of New Year's resolutions you made in a fit of optimism and wondering "how am I going to do all this?"

My best advice is not to make resolutions at all! There isn't anything magical about the turn of the year that makes it necessary to make big life changes. Certain common resolutions, like starting a workout program, are actually harder at this time of year because I can guarantee you when you go to the gym today there will not be one treadmill or elliptical machine free...they will be filled with everyone else who had the same idea as you! Pretty much every time I have managed a big life change, it's just kind of happened because an opportunity presented itself. For example, I started running again last year because some friends invited me to do a race with them. It's been on my resolution list for several years now, but it took that to really get me started.

Still resolved? Go for it. Here are some tips to help make that resolution stick:

Be realistic. If you're 50 lbs overweight and don't exercise, resolving to have a bikini body by summer is setting yourself up to fail. Instead, resolve to take a 30-minute brisk walk 5 days a week, which is doable.

Make goals concrete. "I'm going to read more books" is vague; "I will log off Facebook an hour earlier every night and read for an hour instead" is specific and achievable...and you should reward yourself when you hit a milestone, like finishing a certain number of books or racking up a certain number of workouts, days of healthy eating, etc.

Don't let setbacks derail you. It happens to everyone: you have to work late and miss a workout, you are caught out at lunchtime with no healthy foods to tide you over so you hit a drive-through, or you just can't bring yourself to do whatever new behavior you want to establish. That's OK, but don't trash your whole plan because you slipped up once. A Weight Watchers leader once told me "You wouldn't take your car to the junkyard because the oil light came on, would you?" so don't let one problem trash all your progress.

What resolutions have you made..and how do you  plan to acheive them?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Maintaining my weight
Watch what I eat, count calories, watch portion control & exercise :)

BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM

toning up!!staying healthy no mas hospitals this year. lol.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I haven't made any.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I don't make resolutions, I agree that they make it too difficult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Spend more time with my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I don't make resolutions... I set goals for myself both financially and concerning my business.
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I want to write more and eat healthier. Be less negative when life gets stressful. I'm just trying to do a little at a time. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Eat healthy foods and not as much coffee

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I do not make resolutions.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I do not make them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)