Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money Saving Tips

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 32 Replies

I need advice on how to save. Any thoughts are welcome! : )

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM
USe coupons, shop sales and clearance, buy ahead for clothes, shop second hand. Use a clothes line if you can, set your thermostat lower, grow a garden, sell things you no longer need. Maybe set up a clothes swap with friends to get rid of things that your family doesn't need and get some you can use.
delanna6two
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Shop discount and thrifts.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

basically what they said.

i saw this thing on facebook....52 weeks of saving....each week you save that amount of money ($1 for the 1st week...up to $52 the last week of the year)....you end up saving something like $1,300

msalice_21
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
- Get frequent buyer cards. If you get starbucks alot, start off with putting money on a gift card and using the gift to buy drinks. You will also need to register the card. After youve reached a certian amount, you become a gold card member and every 12th drink is free. Ive saved so much money by doing this.
- To help with bills you can limit your hot water use and electricity use.
- buy in bulk if its possible
- make things yourself! I think its so fun, so much cheaper and so much better! Seriously pintrist has some very cool DIY stuff from make up removers, face wash, toothpaste, clothes, food ideas and soaps! Its a really fun site. Check it out!
- also with bills you can always call the companys and ask what deals they have going on. Cable, internet and cell phone companies always have deals! Especially if you call to tell them youve found a better rate somewhere else or your not happy with the service.

I will come back when i think of other things lol! Right now im kinda blank at the moment lol
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I like that!

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

basically what they said.

i saw this thing on facebook....52 weeks of saving....each week you save that amount of money ($1 for the 1st week...up to $52 the last week of the year)....you end up saving something like $1,300

ashmac03
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The first thing you need to do is set up a budget.  Figure out how much you bring in every month and then how much you spend in bills.  Then you can figure out what you have left to put into savings, spend on groceries, clothing etc.  When shopping for food try to look through your ads to see what's on sale and plan a weekly menu around that.  

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sign up for MyPoints and collect points just for viewing their bonus emails. It's completely free and you make 5 points per email. Save those points up through-out the year. I like to cash my points in early November and then I use them for Christmas shopping. I'm usually able to cash in about $250 in gift cards. You also can earn points by shopping major retailers through their site.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Also, save any spare change and let it build up through-out the year. I like to this and then put it in the bank.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Pay Attention to the prices of things you buy. I don't like telling anyone to buy in bulk or to shop sales because it's not always the best way. Neither are coupons. You have to be a smart shopper.

Most stores (if not all) will put something "on sale" when it really costs more than normal. Not all things, but a lot of things. Beware of Buy One Get One Free sales, most places will mark up the cost so that you're not actually getting any savings at all, you just got suckered by the allure of getting one for free. 

My DH is really bad about falling for that trap. One day we were at the store and Twinkies were BOGO, he's like "YES let's get them!" Price for one box was $4.50, so it would work out to 2.25 each, not bad? WELL... until you find out that Walmart sells them all the time for $2.20/box, so I was going to pay 10 cents more to pretend I was getting a deal? NO thanks. And I know what some people are thinking "It's ONLY 10 cents!" if you think like that you'll never save money.

Same with bulk items, check the cost per item (pound, ounce, etc) a 100# bucket of cat litter for $50 may seem like a good deal. Holy Crap 100# of litter!!! But a 20# box is $4.99, so it's 25 cents a pound, where that Sam's club box is 50 cents a pound, so you're paying twice as much by buying in bulk. (this is an example, I don't think Sam's actually sells 100# of kitty litter).

Also on the bulk note are you going to use it? All of it, before it goes bad? This is for food obviously, you'll eventually use 700 garbage bags. Also, do you have room for it? That 100 pack of TP may be a good deal (it normally isn't but I digress) but do you have somewhere to store it all? You can go with a friend or family member and split cases on some things, that helps.

Coupons, make sure they're for stuff you will use. I stopped couponing because I found that I was buying stuff because I had a coupon for it. I'll totally eat Pork Chitterlings...wait...no I won't and why did I buy $15 worth over a 25 cents off coupon!?

I love sales, I do, but you have to be careful with them.

I'm not a fan of stocking up too much ahead on clothing. What if your kid hits size 6 in the winter and all you have is summer stuff? What if summer rolls around and now they're in a size 7? Wasted money. You can buy ahead to an extent but I would stick to staples that can be used year round. Although both of my kids have skipped sizes so that's a consideration. Again like the bulk thing, do you have somewhere to put all that?

Otherwise... Turn off lights if you don't need them. The Sun is free, open your blinds/curtains. Turn off lights/TV's if you're not in the room.

Make a list before going shopping, if it's not on the list, it's not getting in the cart. This keeps you from buying all those "OH MOM LOOK!!!!" snacks. NEVER shop hungry, I'll spend $50 more if I go in there hungry.

Small things add up.

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Two words.

Dave. Ramsey. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)