Amazon/Nabi apps for a 5yo?

Posted by   + Show Post
We got my son a Nabi 2 tablet for Christmas, and it also runs the Amazon App Market. Does anyone have recommendations for apps that would be fun/educational/appropriate for my 5yo son?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM
:-)

My son wants to like Lord of the Rings, but he's gotten pretty freaked out in movies like Brave and Wreck It Ralph. I can only imagine what he'd make of the Nazgul. Some day...

Quoting Fields456:

Ahhh ya dd is almost 7 and likes jaws and lord of the Rings and nightmare before Christmas is her fav movie. So Cartoon Network is mild lol

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

We took CN off because it seemed like it was accessing videos that aren't necessarily what we want our son to watch. He just turned 5, and we are probably a little uptight with tv and so on. But my DH saw him watching something that wasn't ok, so he removed it.

Quoting Fields456:

She loves it. And yes she already has it set up for Netflix and Cartoon Network. And we will def have to share ideas. I'm going to mess with it this weekend

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

That's right, I remember you posted about that. Does she like it? My son LOVES his tablet. We'll have to share some ideas.

Definitely make sure you get the Amazon App Market installed so she can run Netflix and stuff like that, her dad didn't do that already.

Quoting Fields456:

Dd got one From her dad he loaded it up But I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. So bump

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I just took it off for the same reason. he's not going to be happy about that!
I just search for whatever topic I want him to practice.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

We took CN off because it seemed like it was accessing videos that aren't necessarily what we want our son to watch. He just turned 5, and we are probably a little uptight with tv and so on. But my DH saw him watching something that wasn't ok, so he removed it.

Quoting Fields456:

She loves it. And yes she already has it set up for Netflix and Cartoon Network. And we will def have to share ideas. I'm going to mess with it this weekend

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

That's right, I remember you posted about that. Does she like it? My son LOVES his tablet. We'll have to share some ideas.

Definitely make sure you get the Amazon App Market installed so she can run Netflix and stuff like that, her dad didn't do that already.

Quoting Fields456:

Dd got one From her dad he loaded it up But I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. So bump

Fields456
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Ya when he is ready he will. My dd is kinda morbid her fav part in the new Alice in wonderland is when she cuts the jabberwalkies head and drinks the blood. She was 4 and said it was awesome. But my friends almost 7 year old was totally freaked out.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

:-)

My son wants to like Lord of the Rings, but he's gotten pretty freaked out in movies like Brave and Wreck It Ralph. I can only imagine what he'd make of the Nazgul. Some day...

Quoting Fields456:

Ahhh ya dd is almost 7 and likes jaws and lord of the Rings and nightmare before Christmas is her fav movie. So Cartoon Network is mild lol

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My 5 yr old got a nexus(sp) its a tablet .. and i just go thorugh and download all the Free educational apps i can find .. see which ones hes plays and get rid of the ones he dont .. Oh if you can add any apps with sight words .. they are great in helping with reading !

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My son got an iPad for Christmas but its a different app market sorry I'm no help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My son really liked the Lego videos, so he was also unhappy when he found out it was gone... He was just touching the screen where the icon used to be and saying, "Why Dad?"

But that was yesterday. Today, he's totally moved on and I haven't heard about it once. He's into some Dr. Panda game and My Play Home. :)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I just took it off for the same reason. he's not going to be happy about that!
I just search for whatever topic I want him to practice.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting Fields456:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

We want a Nexus for the grownups in our house! :)

They actually run the same apps, as Amazon and Nabi and Nexus are all Android-based... I have downloaded some freebies, but I've been trying to be selective because there are so many. I'll definitely have to look for some good sight word apps, thanks for the tip!

Quoting bwsmommy:

My 5 yr old got a nexus(sp) its a tablet .. and i just go thorugh and download all the Free educational apps i can find .. see which ones hes plays and get rid of the ones he dont .. Oh if you can add any apps with sight words .. they are great in helping with reading !

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Mamaw and papaw bought him his .. because we couldn't decide on the vtech or the leappad .. my mom and dad love theirs.. so they decided ds would love it as well .. and well I've caught dh on it a time or 2 already ..lol ! We still don't have tons downloaded yet .. but we are working on it ! If I find any we can't live without ill let you know !!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

They actually run the same apps, as Amazon and Nabi and Nexus are all Android-based... I have downloaded some freebies, but I've been trying to be selective because there are so many. I'll definitely have to look for some good sight word apps, thanks for the tip!

Quoting bwsmommy:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, we knew we didn't want one of those kiddie tablets... I bet you will not regret having a "real" tablet for your little guy, because it will grow with him. :)

The Nabi is basically a fully capable Android tablet, high quality hardware, but made to be more physically rugged and with integrated parental controls. It was perfect for what we wanted, and the grownups will get their own Nexus after taxes!

I will say that we have always loved the OceanHouse Media books for Android... I've had them on my phone and on our cheap house tablet for a couple of years. They do Dr. Suess, Little Critter, and other classic characters. The books will read to you, let you advance the page, let you read yourself, or you can tap a word and it will say the word for you. They are not free, except on rare occasion, but my son absolutely loves all the ones he has. You should be able to get them on the Nexus, if not from Google Play then through the Android market.

Quoting bwsmommy:

Mamaw and papaw bought him his .. because we couldn't decide on the vtech or the leappad .. my mom and dad love theirs.. so they decided ds would love it as well .. and well I've caught dh on it a time or 2 already ..lol ! We still don't have tons downloaded yet .. but we are working on it ! If I find any we can't live without ill let you know !!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting bwsmommy:

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM
That's deft something ill have to look into then !! Cause ds needs all the help he can get ! I'm already afraid he's gonna be held back either this yr or they will hold him back in first grade due to his social and behavioral issues :/ .. as well as him being so far behind even with his iep in place ..

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Yeah, we knew we didn't want one of those kiddie tablets... I bet you will not regret having a "real" tablet for your little guy, because it will grow with him. :)

The Nabi is basically a fully capable Android tablet, high quality hardware, but made to be more physically rugged and with integrated parental controls. It was perfect for what we wanted, and the grownups will get their own Nexus after taxes!

I will say that we have always loved the OceanHouse Media books for Android... I've had them on my phone and on our cheap house tablet for a couple of years. They do Dr. Suess, Little Critter, and other classic characters. The books will read to you, let you advance the page, let you read yourself, or you can tap a word and it will say the word for you. They are not free, except on rare occasion, but my son absolutely loves all the ones he has. You should be able to get them on the Nexus, if not from Google Play then through the Android market.

Quoting bwsmommy:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting bwsmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: