Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get phlegm out of her throat?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
My DD can barely nap cause she has phlegm that she keeps chocking on. She spit some up earlier but I know there is more. I'm going to take her in the bathroom and let it steam up but is there anything else?

It seems like this cough is keeping her from sleeping. Any help is appreciated. She's 17 months if that's any help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
alliesmom112
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Have you called her pediatrician? We always kept a humidifier in dd's room when she was sick 

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

i use a vaporizer and swear by it. you can get them at walmart for like 12 dollars.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to increase fluids to thin out the mucus I would avoid milk products they tend to make mucus worst according to what I learned in college. Call the pediatrician you can find a over the counter medicine that says expectorant not a suppressant to loosen the mucus.

Sleeping with head propped up and a cool mist humidifier also helps

momkaribg
by Kari on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I just took my 8 month old today. He actually got choked on his milk today because of this and puked everywhere. In a way this was a good thing as he got alot of that junk out. The pedi said to just do pedialyte for right now and the humidifier. My Son has strep and a double ear infection to. Hope she feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceChild
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I would say lots of fluids as tolerated, and if has difficulty drinking with all that congestion, offer popsicles. Definitely a vaporizer/humidifier too.  Head propped up while resting.  

BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Fever associated with this cough? What color is it? Post nasal drip? Call her pedi-you don't want this turning into bronchitis/pneumonia esp at age 17 months..agree with fluid intake to thin the mucous but she should really be seen esp if it is interrupting her sleep

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Increase fluids, no milk products, elevate her head, and use a cool mist humidifier.  I think she is too young for meds though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN