Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Getting kids to eat new things

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you know what Monday was? That's right, it was Tempura Day! Who loves tempura? Better question is, whose kiddo loves tempura? My child has tried it, but prefers her California roll better. Yes, my child will eat sushi (well, the basic rolls...no raw squid for her). But, will she eat a basic salad? Nope. With this, the start of the year, renewed pledges for life changes and all that stuff, I am thinking about something I set as a goal all-year-round: how to get my kid to try new foods.

She's not too too picky, but we are definitely in a rut with the meal planning. And, with trying to be budget-conscious, I don't necessarily like to risk too much or else it is wasted food and money if she goes "Ick!"

According to the nutritionists, kid-eating pros, the food experts and all of the rest, I can do something to help:

-- Eat like I want her to eat. That means Mama tries new things, talks about yummy new foods, and the like.

-- Get them involved. From shopping to cooking to little jobs about the kitchen, the more they are involved with the food, the more apt they are to like it.

-- Only make one meal. Don't make different things for everyone. Even if you have super picky kids, like one only loves meat, one won't eat meat, or the like, alternate nights for the main course, and serve a side everyone likes. They won't go hungry...and will e more likely to venture out and try new items.

-- Skip the boring food. Don't serve bland food because you think it will be too spicy. Give spices and flavors that pop a try. That may be the trick you've been missing.

-- Don't give up...it could take as many at 15 encounters with a certain food before your kids will eat more than two bites of it.

Do you have picky eaters? How do you get your kiddos to eat new foods?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Lydia Goolia

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM
He's starting to be there but he will try most things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

They were willing when they were young :)

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

None of my kids have ever been picky eaters. We always made them try a teeny tiny bite of anything new. They knew if they tried it and didn't like it, that's ok. But if they tried it and liked it, they could get more. There really isn't much my kiddos won't try. But there are foods they don't like and I don't make them eat it when I cook it. I will cook them something else..Like Brian LOVES liver and onions. The girls tried it and HATED it. So I will make them bbq chicken or spaghetti when Brian gets his liver and onions. I was force fed when I was a kid. And VOWED NEVER to do that to MY kids. But they gotta try it to see if they like it.  

AstuteMama
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I'm pretty lucky that my kids aren't to picky. My boys are old enough that if they don't like what I fix for dinner that they can make their own dinner. My granddaughter is 18 months likes to try everything that I'm eating. She so far likes everything that I feed her. She is like my daughter and my boys that they like to try something new.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM
My kids have sensory problems so they are very picky but we still make only one meal and try to make things they will eat. They do try new things and eat some veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM
My kids are not picky eaters
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I don't have picky eaters.I let them pick a new food from the store.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We just say try 1 bite and if you don't like it thats ok!

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My oldest is a very picky eater. It can be frustrating. 

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I've never had a problem with getting my child to eat new things.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)