Group Home

Smarter Mom: Protect Your Phone!

Posted by   + Show Post

Most of us are so dependent on our smart phones that we would be absolutely lost without them. I use mine as an always-ready camera, calendar, to-do list keeper, calorie counter/food tracker, music player, weather station, news reader, message center, social media updater...and, oh yes, as a phone for my business line and for home.

So I was incredibly glad that I had Find My iPhone on mine when it was stolen the other day. With the help of the police, I was able to get it back within 24 hours.

It allowed me to not only track the phone, but to lock it so the thief couldn't use it. And my wallpaper is a picture of my kids; the app cleared my screen and put a message on it saying "This phone has been stolen. Please call (my husband's number)." It just made me feel better knowing they weren't looking at a photo of my sweeties!

These apps work if your phone is simply lost, too. Even if it's lost right in your house, you can prompt it to play a sound from these apps so you can follow the beep.

You can find FindMyIPhone here, and here's a list of 5 apps that could help you get a Droid phone back as well.

Here are some other tips to keep your phone safe:

Always have it on your person, in a pocket or purse. Never put it in your coat pocket (that's how mine was stolen).

Know your provider's customer service number so you can call and suspend service immediately.

Have your phone locked with a passcode. Yes, it's a pain in the neck to type in all the time, but it keeps thieves from snooping through your photos, banking app, contacts etc. With all the information we keep on our phones, keeping them secure is worth a little time.

Don't walk and talk. "Apple picking" is a common crime in some urban areas, where a thief will approach someone who is talking or texting on their phone while walking and just snatch it right out of their hands. If you're not paying attention to your surroundings, you're a target.

What do you do to keep your phone safe?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
Gwynyth
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Thanks!!!

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I have a password, I'm downloading that app, I already have it on my other apple devices idk why I havent done it on my iPhone thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladyisis
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I only have a regular cell phone and carry it with me at all times.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Not everyone is drinking the Apple Koolaid and has an iPhone.

My phone is in a case to protect from drops.

I keep it in my pants pocket, so you'd have to get PRETTY fresh with me to get it. And it's insured so if something happens I pay $50 and get a new one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.