Everyone just loves to grocery shop right? lol. So how do you do it? Do you go by a budget? Shop around for the best deals? Does the grocery store you go to have a weekly sale on different items? 

Depending on how much I have to spend will depend on if I go with a budget. I only go to one store because they have the best sales and prices. The quality of the food is a lot better than other stores here too. Every Wednesday they have a new sales ad that comes out. You can go online and see what they have on sale and see some of the stuff they have in store that has in store coupons. My favorite thing is the meal deals they have. You buy the meat and get a bunch of other stuff for sides for free. Sometimes the meals suck lol, but when they don't, it is an awesome way to get a meal for a good price.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I am so bad about it. I prefer to cook based on my mood & just keep a well stocked pantry. Budget wise, that's not the smartest move. I planned ahead for 3 of our meals this week, so that's a good start for me. DH & I both work full time & dd is in school, so I would only have to do supper plans.  

Quoting wandep:

Love meal planning. The way I do it is I plan a weekly meal for supper. I don't do breakfast and lunch. Then if for some reason we aren't in the mood for say Taco Tuesday's we can change it to another night.

Quoting momma-flynn:

I usually just buy whatever, but I have to be better about budgetting. I am forcing myself to start meal planning & shopping smarter. 

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Exactly. The best ones I have found though are the ones for diapers. I can find some good ones sometimes that don't have a limit on the size of package. I had 5 coupons one time that ranged from $1.50-$2.00. I got all small packages and got way more than the big boxes and spent way less.

Quoting wandep:

Same here girl. I would use them if it was worth my time tho. Oh and the ones they do have you have to buy so many of the item to get only .50 cents off.

Quoting ashleymosq:

I have the same problem with coupons. I might find one or two that are of what I get, but for the most part all I find are for stuff I don't use. Most coupons I use are the ones that are in store coupons that are taped to the items that I am already buying.

Quoting wandep:

We do not worry with coupons. Usually the coupons out there are nothing we purchase. :(

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I used to do a menu every week and shop on a tight budget. I need to start doing that again lol. I have been spending way too much at the store lately.

Quoting momma-flynn:

I usually just buy whatever, but I have to be better about budgetting. I am forcing myself to start meal planning & shopping smarter. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I just printed out a calendar for the next 3 months. I'm going to try to get a few weeks planned before my next store trip.  

Quoting ashleymosq:

I used to do a menu every week and shop on a tight budget. I need to start doing that again lol. I have been spending way too much at the store lately.

Quoting momma-flynn:

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I have a list and a budget. I go to the Commissary and get what I need, I don't really pay attention to sales. Some things on the list I'm vague about like Cereal and I look for the best price on cereal we'll eat. So I go for good prices in that sense, but I'm not going to 3 different stores and spending all day. One store, one stop, get it done, get home.

Is the commissary a lot cheaper?

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quoting ashleymosq:

I love when the grocery store I go to has chicken on sale. They put other meats on sale sometimes too, but mostly chicken. There are times that I can stock up on some meats because they have it for $1 a lb. I got a huge pork roast for like .88 a lb. I still have half of it in my freezer lol.

Quoting lillucky8:

I go thru wkly circulars to decide what store to go to. Buy sale items, i check meat departments for items that have a soon sellby date and are marked down, and when chicken goes on sale i buy three or four family packs so i dont have to buy st reg price

Thats a super deal!

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

We don't eat meat, but used too... How does Amish chicken taste in comparison to regular or kosher chicken? Or is it more of a hormone free thing?

Quoting jconney80:

I buy clearance organic produce from a special store and Amish raised chicken. Then get other things at Kroger

aubsmom09
by Erin on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM

For the most part I think it is.  For example if I get cabbage I would either make cabbage soup, sautee it up as a side with other veggies or use it in fish tacos.  If I get some bell peppers I would either use it to make chili, put it in salad or sautee it up with some other veggies.  I like when I get things I don't normally buy like leeks.  It is fun to search for recipes to use that food up.

Quoting ashleymosq:

That sounds cool. Is it easier to plan meals around fruits and veggies?

Quoting aubsmom09:

I get a basket of fruits and veggies from a local co-op and meal plan around what I get. 

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I coupon so i go to a few stores with a list and probably every few days. but we have a small apartment and fridge and cant do huge runs

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I usually only do 1 week at a time. Most of the time I have a hard time doing that much lol. 

Quoting momma-flynn:

I just printed out a calendar for the next 3 months. I'm going to try to get a few weeks planned before my next store trip.  

Quoting ashleymosq:

Quoting momma-flynn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: