Group Home

Smarter Health: The five tips you need to eat healthier!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

Right, we are still in the throws of resolutions and we are eating healthier and putting forth a huge effort. You know it takes at least 21 days of repeated behavior to enforce a new routine...six months to truly incorporate that as a habit (the whole science of habits is fascinating - have you read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg?).

So, I got you to look at this post because I promised five tips didn't I? Wouldn't it be so easy if it were just five. It kind of is that simple...though if you are eating a large pizza, something deep-fried at every meal, these tips won't really help you. For the rest of us, adopt even a few of these, and I bet you will see a change, feel a bit healthier.

-- Eat slower and with more attention. How many of us rush through a meal, grab that snack or lunch while standing at the kitchen island, while checking emails or watching TV? If we eat slower, really chewing each bite and be aware of eating, we won't eat as much. Really. There is science behind it. Not only won't we eat as much, we won't be as hungry later. That whole tricky brain-tummy thing.

-- Drink more water. I've said this over and over again on various hubs here at CM and it is probably because my body tends to run a tad dehydrated all of the time. More often than not, when we feel hungry, it is because we are thirsty. Again, that whole tricky tummy-brain connection.

-- Read the labels and choose ones you know. Again, we have all heard the mantra to eat those foods without labels, veggies fruit and so on. OR at least eat the foods that do have a label the ones with the shortest list. When you get into 10 or 33 ingredients that sound made-up...skip it. You're just eat chemicals and processed crappola.

-- Skip the soda. It isn't good for you. Period. This one step alone can save you hundreds of calories a week and re-alter your taste buds, to get them used to regular foods again and put the kibosh on these sugary cravings. Even skip the diet ones -- that sugar substitute isn't so great to have running through your system either.

-- Lower your sodium. A great choice when you are trying to get your heart in the healthiest form you can is to cut back on salty foods. The kicker with sodium is it is hidden in so many things we eat - breads, muffins, cereals, that soda you should skip anyway, tomato sauce, soup, almost anything canned...need I go on? Pick the low-sodium version of your usual and I promise you won't notice any difference in taste...but you may be less bloated in a few weeks. Score!

Are any of these an issue for you? Have you done any of these with good results (or bad ones)?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ acik

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Great tips,
I do many but have troubles with fruits & veggies :)

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM
we are on a whole other level from this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I do all of these and you can tell a difference. But man sometimes I really miss soda and have one. 

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Trying to cut back on sodas. :( It's hard.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Excellent tips, thanks. 

No soda here.. never really liked it.

I am drinking lots of more water (and making my family drink it too)

I am juicing it.. my family is not used to eating so many veggies, so I give it to them in a juice :)

I was set on not reading labels.. I was one of the people that said.. "i am not going through all that reading, measuring and adding" but I have noticed myself doing it more and more often and surprisingly it comes easy :)

the eating slow part i have to concur.. with life pulling at you to do things in a hurry its kind of hard, but I do try to chew many times before swallowing and we do have dinner together at the table (this doubles us as talk time too).

So far I have gotten very good results doing these... oh and this week I am writing down everything that I eat, which was something I said I would never do lol

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I actually do all of these. People think I am crazy when I say that you should drink before you eat. I always drink a glass of water when I feel my stomach tell me it wants something. If I am still getting that feeling I eat something. We changed our diet years ago and do all the things listed here. Honestly the food just tastes better. I eat food that I can pronounce. That is big for me.

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM

i never drink water and drink way to much soda

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Sigh... I love soda and processed foods. I need to do better at this for my son's sake, but I'm doing one thing at a time. Right now I'm, trying to add in more veggies to our meals.
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i ditched the soda and headaches went away!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Great advice. The ELF diet helps too. (a visiting pastor once said)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys