Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: The five tips you need to eat healthier!

Posted by   + Show Post

Right, we are still in the throws of resolutions and we are eating healthier and putting forth a huge effort. You know it takes at least 21 days of repeated behavior to enforce a new routine...six months to truly incorporate that as a habit (the whole science of habits is fascinating - have you read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg?).

So, I got you to look at this post because I promised five tips didn't I? Wouldn't it be so easy if it were just five. It kind of is that simple...though if you are eating a large pizza, something deep-fried at every meal, these tips won't really help you. For the rest of us, adopt even a few of these, and I bet you will see a change, feel a bit healthier.

-- Eat slower and with more attention. How many of us rush through a meal, grab that snack or lunch while standing at the kitchen island, while checking emails or watching TV? If we eat slower, really chewing each bite and be aware of eating, we won't eat as much. Really. There is science behind it. Not only won't we eat as much, we won't be as hungry later. That whole tricky brain-tummy thing.

-- Drink more water. I've said this over and over again on various hubs here at CM and it is probably because my body tends to run a tad dehydrated all of the time. More often than not, when we feel hungry, it is because we are thirsty. Again, that whole tricky tummy-brain connection.

-- Read the labels and choose ones you know. Again, we have all heard the mantra to eat those foods without labels, veggies fruit and so on. OR at least eat the foods that do have a label the ones with the shortest list. When you get into 10 or 33 ingredients that sound made-up...skip it. You're just eat chemicals and processed crappola.

-- Skip the soda. It isn't good for you. Period. This one step alone can save you hundreds of calories a week and re-alter your taste buds, to get them used to regular foods again and put the kibosh on these sugary cravings. Even skip the diet ones -- that sugar substitute isn't so great to have running through your system either.

-- Lower your sodium. A great choice when you are trying to get your heart in the healthiest form you can is to cut back on salty foods. The kicker with sodium is it is hidden in so many things we eat - breads, muffins, cereals, that soda you should skip anyway, tomato sauce, soup, almost anything canned...need I go on? Pick the low-sodium version of your usual and I promise you won't notice any difference in taste...but you may be less bloated in a few weeks. Score!

Are any of these an issue for you? Have you done any of these with good results (or bad ones)?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ acik

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Good basics.

Another thing I did with salt is stop adding it when recipes call for it. I only add it in baking because its necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I have trouble with the first one. I have a tendency yo eat too fast! The rest of them I do fairly well with.

KaylaMillar
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Great tips!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i already do all those.  my issue is my schedule.  i have to take meds daily & can't eat for an hour after taking them.  by that time i'm at work & can't eat till my break at 9:30 & then i can only eat a little snack; yogurt, fruit, or such.  i can't get a "real" meal till after i get off work at 2:30.  but i'm typically running around so i grab another snack.  generally my first real meal doesn't come till 5ish.  but then i'm hungry again later in the eve so i snack some more.  i know it's better to eat smaller, frequent meals throughout the day rather than 3 big ones but i typically only get one "meal" a day (during the week) & many snacks.  though 98% of the time it's healthy snacks most of my eating is done after 3pm.

ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Nah, they don't really affect me.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I do most of these. I don't drink soda or any sugary drinks, but have a hard time drinking a lot of water, and then when I do, I'm running to the bathroom every 15 minutes, so for me that doesn't work well. I don't use many packaged foods or canned. All our meals are taken as a family together at the table, no tv on. It works out well. I overheard a friend of our 12 year old ask her if our family always eats a family meal all the time, and when she said yes, the girls said she never knew anyone who did that before. lol

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I wish my husband would eat slower. It's like a race with him!

alliesmom112
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

great tips. I have started using smaller plates and bowls. Great way to control portion size. 

alliesmom112
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I also try to cut up our fresh fruits and veggies when I get them home from the store. We are more likely to eat them if they are already prepared and we can just grabb them from the fridge 

yes409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

thank for your adive, i will try to fallow the step to lose weight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN