Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making time for "Family Time"

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Amy
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

One of my New Years' Goals was to have more family time.  Also, one of my goals was to be more organized.  Since I've been more organized, it's been much easier to have family time.  My plan for spending time with my family has been to have 1 evening per week set as family night in which we do anything together at home as a family...anything from playing hide & go seek together to playing board games to having a pizza picnic in the living room to having a giant nerf gun war.  I also want us to have one day per month in which we go on a family outing.  I've been scheduling this all on the master calendar we have in the dining room. Well, Saturday is the day for our family outing.  We're going to a Children's museum in a town about 50 miles from us.  I'm really excited about it!  I know our 5 year old will love it and it's great to learn and have fun at the same time :)

What sort of family outings do you plan?  Do you have some indoor and outdoor ideas?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

That sounds fun.  We do alot of board games and go to events that the library holds each month.  Last month dad was here so he took us up to seattle for a day trip.

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:44 AM
1 mom liked this

we pop popcorn and watch movies. we will also order pizza sometimes and watch movies or cartoons. we also play board games. cook dinner with them.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We cook,watch movies,Go to the beach to take photos of wild pones if there are any on the beach, play the wii or thy will get in bed with me and we just talk.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM

We play alot of card games,Clue and Yahtzee. Since I homeschool Valerie and Sarah we play waitress and chef..Teaches Sarah how to write and Valerie how to cook and I get to EAT...We go to the zoo, the beach, Brian takes them for a ride on the dirtbike, we all target shoot..They love to go swimming in the river and skip rocks. We spend alot of time at the park as well..Sarah told me she wants to do a study on killer whales. So we'll be doing a lapbook on whales. We go to the library..Last month they had a pj night at the library. It was the Polar Express, they got their tickets and bells. played some games, listened to a story, drank hot chocolate,ate cookies and got a goody bag on their way out the door. Was alot of fun. Enjoy your outing.. 

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM
That's a great plan! You aren't in Indiana are you? Just asking because we have an awesome children's museum.

My goal was similar but I'd just like to take the more family out outings idea. We spend a lot of time in but we actually have a little more money now and I'd like to do more fun things with the kids before they are too old.

Some ideas for us... Rock climbing place, trampoline place, shooting range, go carts
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We play games, build forts, cook, snuggle and read books.  Love family time!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM
The Indianapolis Children's Museum is far and away the best I've ever been to. I hope there's a way to take my son some day... Maybe on a road trip to visit my family in Kansas.

We lived in southeastern Indiana for a couple years growing up, and going to that museum was one of our favorite "big trips"... So much so that I went back in college when I lived in Indy! :-)

Quoting MamaJane:

That's a great plan! You aren't in Indiana are you? Just asking because we have an awesome children's museum.

My goal was similar but I'd just like to take the more family out outings idea. We spend a lot of time in but we actually have a little more money now and I'd like to do more fun things with the kids before they are too old.

Some ideas for us... Rock climbing place, trampoline place, shooting range, go carts

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I really like your goal, I hope it keeps going throughout the year for you guys!

We just went on a family snowshoe hike last night. That's one of our favorite winter activities. We also go to the lake together, go hiking and camping together, play board or video games, and go from walks each evening in the summer.
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

When our kids were younger (two were pre-teen and two were young) we did a scavenger hunt at the mall. We put the 2 boys on a team and the two girls on a team. Each team had $20 to spend. They had to try to spend it all. It had to be spent on things they could all enjoy, nothing geared only to girls or only to boys. They had 1 1/2 hours to shop. At the end we had lunch in the mall and share what they had bought.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM
It is! Actually just recently we took out last trip. It was a sad end of an era. Maybe ill take my grand kids:). An funny you say Kansas because my sis is from ks and when she visits she always goes to the cm.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

The Indianapolis Children's Museum is far and away the best I've ever been to. I hope there's a way to take my son some day... Maybe on a road trip to visit my family in Kansas.

We lived in southeastern Indiana for a couple years growing up, and going to that museum was one of our favorite "big trips"... So much so that I went back in college when I lived in Indy! :-)

Quoting MamaJane:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN