Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
Hi! My name is Kayla, I'm 22 and married to Andrew. We have 3 boys: Ryan and Elliot are almost 2; William is 7 months. I EBF William and am starting to potty train the twins. We are in Texas :) I've been meaning to join for close to a year lol! I'm not by any means completely commited to organic and natural but I do grasp the concept and tend to agree with natural choices.

I have a question...
What's the best place to keep fruit? I've noticed my avocados, bananas and apples ripen very quickly in a natural wicker basket... The avocados don't bother me but the apples and bananas do. What can I switch to as a fruit bowl? TIA!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mereinhart28
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Welcome!

I just keep banana's on the counter, and apples in the fridge. I use a large pasta platter for my fruit bowl :)

lil_mama06
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Welcome and I bet your lil ones are adorable. I babysat twins (3 years) and their 4 year old sister while their mom moved out of state. They keep you on your toes. I keep my fruit on my table.
Mami2oneboy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Welcome to the group!!! i keep them in the fridge so they last longer.

critter_boo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Welcome I keep apples and avocados in fridge I hang my bananas
momma-flynn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Welcome! I keep my fruit in a basket. We usually eat it quickly.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

welcome!!

i keep all fruit in the fridge, except for bananas.  those i keep on the table away from the heat of appliances.  i did have them in a bowl on the counter with the dish washer underneath & found they browned allot quicker there.  they tend to last a bit longer away from all the heat.

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Welcome to the group. Bananas should be hung. 

slw123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Welcome to the group!!  Apples store well in the refridgerator.  I read somewhere that if you wrap the banana stems where they meet with saran wrap, that they won't ripen as quickly.  I haven't done it, we go through bananas too fast to matter.

angieluvsolivia
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Welcome!  I would keep avocados in the fridge and keep the apples and bananas seperate.  They both give off a gas when they are ripening and double the fruit, double the gas, faster the ripening process.

KristinRox
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Hi Kayla!! Nice to meet you and have you here in the group. Im Kristin. Im 31, and I have 4 kiddos 2 girls and 2 boys. They are 10,6, 4, and 3. We live in Canada. Ive been married to my dh for 10 years. 

To answer your questions.. I usually keep my apples in the fridge in the crisper. It keeps them fresh for a long time. My bananas are another story though. I keep them on the counter and they ripen quickly... however, my kids LOVE bananas so its usually not an issue. 

Welcome to the group. I look forward to talking with you again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)