Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hopefully he won't be mad... LOL **UPDATE WITH PICTURE** **Final Update!**

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 57 Replies
3 moms liked this

Dh, that is.

I painted the powder room.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention I did not tell him I was going to paint the powder room.  Nor did I ask for input on the color.  LOL.  I literally went to Target, chose new handtowels and washcloths and rugs.  Then I went to the hardware store with said towels and chose a color to coordinate with it.  While the kids were eating lunch, I was busy taping and prepping the walls.  Then during nap time, I got busy and started painting!!! :)  I am doing two hues of blue... a deeper royal blue for one accent wall and then a lighter blue for the other 3 walls.  It looks awesome already.  The walls used to be cream in there.  It was so blah.  Even with maroon towels and rugs, it was still super blah.  I hated it.

I decided on blue, because we went to the Greek islands for our honeymoon and got some great pictures while there.  I had two frames in the bathroom with maroon/green leaves.  I took those pictures out, got 2 white mats and then ordered two 8x10 scenic Greek Island pictures to put in there instead!  The blues will look great with the blue walls and towels and such.  Plus, the frames are on the dark accent wall, so the white mat in the frame will make the pictures really pop!  I am also hoping to get a tall white vase to put some of those decorative branches in, in the corner of the room.  The vanity in there (and the mirror edge) are pure white, so they too will really pop against the blue hues of the walls. 

I love it already!!!  I am trying to resist the urget to text a picture to DH.  I kind of want him to just be surprised when he comes home!!! :)

Have any of you ever done any home improvement projects without your DH/SO's consent??  How did that work out for you?? :)

UPDATE:

Ok, I finally cleaned up my mess and set up the room so I could take a picture.  Sorry about the poor quality.  My camera is in DH's car, so I had to use my phone camera.  It's a hard room to photograph too since it is small! :)  Oh, and there are no pictures in the frames yet.  I just ordered them from Shutterfly today, so it will likely be a week before them come in! :)

He ended up having to work REALLY, REALLY late last night.  He got home around 2AM and went straight to bed!!!  This morning, he did not visit the bathroom down here when he came downstairs.  As I was cooking breakfast, he asked me what was on my leg (a few spots of dark blue paint).  I told him it was paint and then he asked what I painted.  Upon turning around (powder room is right off the kitchen), he saw it right away.  ;)  He does like it!!  He said we probably could have used the lighter color on all the walls... but I told him I think it gives the room a little more dimension.  He looked around again and agreed that the darker wall does make the room feel bigger. :)  He likes it!!!  And I bet he especially likes that he didn't have to do anything himself.  LOL

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Yes...Once I painted our living room a terra cotta color. I had a new rug and the color was in that. Brian was gone on a 2 month long job. He came home,walked through the kitchen and said Honey, what did you do?. I said Surprise...It took him a couple days, but he liked it. Good luck to you...Just tellhim you almost painted it pink, but changed your mind...lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

We need a picture!!!!! Of the room and of dh's face when he sees it =)

deedee3849
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

btw, it sounds beautiful =)

suziejax
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

O yes worked out fine. He wont do updates in the house anyways hehe

It sounds nice girl! Enjoy!

dusky_rose
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds great! I don't think my DH would be too happy if I did that though.

Mami2oneboy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

that souds nice did you take a picture?

yvonne37
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

wow so far.. what I can imagine it looking like I think you picked well.. i cant wait to go to Greece, its on our to go list.  post pics!

I have done lots of projects without consulting with him, he does not really care and trusts my judgment... the only project i started and we had a problem was a plumbing one lol.. i changed the toilet and then changed the old vanity in our bathroom, when I disconnected the plumbing in the back it broke! lol.. i had to call a plumber to fix it and my husband got home to a big mess and a strange man in the house lol... ;)

yvonne37
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM

laughinggood one !! 

Quoting lil_mama06:

Yes...Once I painted our living room a terra cotta color. I had a new rug and the color was in that. Brian was gone on a 2 month long job. He came home,walked through the kitchen and said Honey, what did you do?. I said Surprise...It took him a couple days, but he liked it. Good luck to you...Just tellhim you almost painted it pink, but changed your mind...lol

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Threes.Company
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Ok, I am uploading a photo with my phone now...  my camera is in DH's car!!! :)

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Ha!!!!  That is AWESOME. :)

Quoting lil_mama06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)