Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 62 Replies

So we took my 6 year old daughter to the ear, throat and nose doctor today. She has swollen adenoids and tonsils.

He suggested removing them... we said we will think about it.  when i was her age I also suffered from it and my dad said no to the surgery and they shrunk with time.

I know they are there to keep infections away and would like to wait and not put her throw that.

Anyone have gone through this with their child?

How was it? 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jules_
by Julie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM
We went through that in the spring and summer of 2011 with my 6 year old. I chose to not do the surgey. She is now 8 and doing much better. I am glad we chose to wait.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for replying :)

Quoting Jules_:

We went through that in the spring and summer of 2011 with my 6 year old. I chose to not do the surgey. She is now 8 and doing much better. I am glad we chose to wait.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
bmw29
by Bobbie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I had it done as a child and so has my son. I don't recommend waiting because if she has to have it done later in life it is really hard on you. Having it done as a child shortens the recovery period dramatically.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I have an appt with the ENT on the 24th.  If they are willing I'm having hers yanked.  I have had a tonsilectomy and while they are there to prevent infections my experience has been when they aren't there the bacteria have no place to go.  I went from having strep and tonsilitis several times a year to like once a year.

ETA: My 6 year old has an appt.  She gets recurrent strep, 4 times in the past 6 months alone and she has asthma too so, I am ready for it to get better.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

No but I went through it. My mother was too ill to care for a sick child so she did not have the surgery and I suffered time and time again with it. When my grandmother visited years later it happened again and they finally had them removed and she stayed to take care of me and my mom. I am so glad they finally did it. I wish my mother had asked for help sooner. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest was almost 8yo when he had his removed! And it was very good for him!

DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM
No...but I hope everything works out for the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:25 AM
My son had his out when he was 3. His were so big he would actually stop breathing in his sleep. he had strep throat for over a month and it wouldn't go away. we saw the ent on a tuesday and his surgury was that thursday. the dr didn't want to wait because of the breathing issue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Dsd went through it. After she wasn't sick so much.

sparkyco2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM

seriously correct!!!!!!!

i had mine done when i was 22 yrs old and a c-section at 35 yrs old......

IF i had to choose again i would choose to have the c-section all over again.... it was so horrible having my tonsils out at that age...... and they tell you "oh you get to eat all the ice cream you want"..... ya that is BS..... the ice cream causes phlemn in your throat that needs to come up with coughing...... seriously?????? i am coughing up phlemn or a bowling ball.

ice pops are the only way to go.......

Quoting bmw29:

I had it done as a child and so has my son. I don't recommend waiting because if she has to have it done later in life it is really hard on you. Having it done as a child shortens the recovery period dramatically.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)