Eating On A Budget Recipe 1/16

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Minty Tomato Soup

Minty Tomato Soup Recipe

Look for large tomatoes, as they're easier to work with. If you make the soup ahead, the flavors will meld with time, but give the soup a quick stir before serving. Cheesy toasts add a bit of extra protein to this end-of-summer soup.

Yield: 4 servings
Cost per Serving: $2.42

Ingredients

• 4 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes 
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
  • 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 4 ounces French bread baguette
  • (3-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened 

Preparation

1. 1. Preheat broiler.
  2. 2. Core tomatoes, and halve crosswise. Working with 1 tomato at a time, squeeze tomato halves over a sieve over a bowl; press sieve gently with the back of a wooden spoon to extract remaining juice, reserving tomato halves and juice. Discard seeds.
  3. 3. Press tomato halves through large holes of a box grater into a large bowl; discard skins. Add reserved tomato juice to bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped mint, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and vinegar.
  4. 4. Place garlic in a food processor; process until chopped. Add 1/2 cup mint leaves and 1/8 teaspoon salt; process until pureed. With the motor running, gradually pour oil through food chute, processing until oil is fully incorporated, scraping sides as necessary.
  5. 5. Slice bread crosswise into 8 slices. Spread cream cheese evenly over 1 side of bread slices. Place bread, cheese side up, in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until golden. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; divide pesto evenly among bowls. Serve with toasts.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'm not a big tomato soup person, unless I have a grilled cheese to dip into it. I also have to load it with salt and pepper lol.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

That sounds good. I usually put celery salt in my homemade tomato soup.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I don't like mint in my soup.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Mint and tomatoes doesn't sound right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The mint turns me off. I couldn't eat this one.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I'd try this

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I don't know if I could do the minty part. I am not a big mint fan anyway and it being in tomato soup just seems weird lol.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

mint? no thanks

tayanddyl
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I love tomato soup, I made a veggie tomato soup Sunday.  There was enough for 2 days and some left over for the freezer.  Yummy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: