Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Fashion Crimes

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to fashion; I live in (boot-cut, not even skinny) jeans, wear heels only on dressy date nights or for important work meetings, flatiron my hair maybe once a week, etc. But there are some things that I just don't "get."

Clothing that fits poorly: I understand that sometimes you gain weight and don't want to admit it (OH I know) or lose weight and can't afford to replace your whole wardrobe. But when someone is bursting out of a shirt or having to hold up their jeans with one hand, that's a problem. Clearance racks, sales, layaway, raiding your friends' closets...get something that fits!

Designer logos for no reason: I'm not a big designer person, and I really I do not get people who wear labels for label's sake, like a plain, ordinary T-shirt with a designer logo across the front. I totally understand springing for the high style and excellent workmanship of real designer clothes and accessories, but when you're buying that plain hoodie with a designer's or store's name, you've just paid to advertise for them (and probably paid more than you should have, too).

Leggings as pants or worse, opaque tights as pants: Leggings are great, but wear them with something that covers you to at least mid-thigh. Yes, even if you're 20 years old and cute and work out all the time. And if you followed the first rule (which is, if you think "should I wear pants with this top?" the answer is YES) make sure what you think are leggings are actually leggings. If light passes though them when you stretch the fabric or they have feet, they're tights.

Pajamas in public. Why? Just, why? Dispensation for anyone under about 20 and if your clothes are not easily spotted as PJs (there are black knit pajama pants that pass easily for workout wear) but it does not look cute. I love PJs as much as the next person, but they do not look cute in public.

What's your fashion pet peeve?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

When clothes don't match or just look funny :)

Kainalu55
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

When someone where's clothes that are just way too small!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Quoting Kainalu55:

Yes! It just looks gross

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM

eh I havent been able to afford new clothes in years. My kid's medical bills come first. And if I am sick and have been up with screaming sick kids I'll wear pjs and could give a damn if someone doesn't like it while I run to walgreens to pick something up

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I agree with all of these except the logo. I do agree that it's dumb to pay then to advertise. However how do you know I bought this for the sake of a name? I have 3 sweatshirts I got on clearance. I didn't care what they looked like, they were cheap and warm. I have one on now, 4 years later.

I hate pointless clothes, like boots with shorts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM

PJs in public is def mine

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Girls wearing pants that are too tight, with their butt hanging out. Ugh. Buy clothes that fit.

And also, I agree with everything written above 100%!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Those pants showing underwear on men.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

crazy colored skinny jeans and ridiculous heels are my pet peeve.

i'll wear jammies in public....pj pants that are usually grey or black..yoga pants more like

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

This.

Quoting Kainalu55:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN