WWYD- Email from the teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend just got an email from her son's high school English teacher and it has several grammatical errors. He misused colons. He ended a sentence with a period and then an exclamation mark. He also used the wrong verb tense. 

No to mention that email was pretty rude. The teacher obviously felt the parent was accusing him of losing her son's assignments but the email she sent didn't say that at all. So not only can the guy not write, he can't read. 

She's torn because nothing he's sent home has had errors like that. She wonders if he doesn't consider email a formal form of writing so he typed it out without rereading or thinking. Obviously many people feel that way about online communication. (Just look at all the posts on CM written in text speak) 

Do you think teachers should be formal when emailing parents?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (51-56):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think it depends on the email. If it is a quick note for something, I think informal is fine.  The other day I emailed my sons teacher for some information on something and she sent me a short email with the information she new and said if I had any more questions to let her now. So we eamiled back and forth again just short informal messages, but it was fine and i was happy with how quick she replied.

For something serious I would prefer a formal email.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I think it's pretty ridiculous that the teachers email had misspelled words. Call for crying out loud, LOL

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I would see if it happens again, then question it.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I think that teachers should be formal when emailing parents.  I would not correct his errors.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Strange
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teesoloca
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

emailing yes

texting no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: