Group Home

WWYD- Email from the teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend just got an email from her son's high school English teacher and it has several grammatical errors. He misused colons. He ended a sentence with a period and then an exclamation mark. He also used the wrong verb tense. 

No to mention that email was pretty rude. The teacher obviously felt the parent was accusing him of losing her son's assignments but the email she sent didn't say that at all. So not only can the guy not write, he can't read. 

She's torn because nothing he's sent home has had errors like that. She wonders if he doesn't consider email a formal form of writing so he typed it out without rereading or thinking. Obviously many people feel that way about online communication. (Just look at all the posts on CM written in text speak) 

Do you think teachers should be formal when emailing parents?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think it was most likely written quickly from home and he was not thinking a parent would be trying to go after him because of his small mistakes because her child may not be doing his work. I think she is reaching and thats crazy. People are allowed to make mistakes. I am sure she has never ever made a small mistake at her job ever in her life right?

*sigh* sorry, I just don't get the need for everyone to fight everyone else over tiny little things. This is why our communities are no longer as close and as respectful as they use to be. She is teaching her child to search for others shortcoming and use that against the to gain the upper hand instead of trying to fix trhe real problem. And its not the way to go about it imo

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I would send it back corrected.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hugss:

I too would let it go this time,
However I definiely feel teachers need to write *professionally* even in emails :)

Perfect answer!

ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

It depends on the relationship, but I would assume it should be formal.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Tnis

Quoting tyfry7496:

Let it go this time but I would save it to have proof if you need to go to the principal.

And, yes, teachers should use proper English in emails.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I think teacher's need to be professional, and use proper English.

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

If an English teacher does not use correct grammar and spelling, who will? 

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

It depends.  If it's something about a problem academic or otherwise yes, they should be somewhat formal.  Now, I email my daughter's teacher all the time about volunteering and she will drop me a line to ask how my dd is doing when she's sick and stuff.  Those emails are very informal but, I think that is ok.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Quoting hugss:

I too would let it go this time,
However I definiely feel teachers need to write *professionally* even in emails :)

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I think that teachers should maintain a professional relationship with the parents and vice versa.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80