WWYD- Email from the teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend just got an email from her son's high school English teacher and it has several grammatical errors. He misused colons. He ended a sentence with a period and then an exclamation mark. He also used the wrong verb tense. 

No to mention that email was pretty rude. The teacher obviously felt the parent was accusing him of losing her son's assignments but the email she sent didn't say that at all. So not only can the guy not write, he can't read. 

She's torn because nothing he's sent home has had errors like that. She wonders if he doesn't consider email a formal form of writing so he typed it out without rereading or thinking. Obviously many people feel that way about online communication. (Just look at all the posts on CM written in text speak) 

Do you think teachers should be formal when emailing parents?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I absolutely agree.

Quoting mrswillie:

I would let it pass and see if it happens again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I agree, but I would give it another chance.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I think teacher's need to be professional, and use proper English.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
It should be formal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Definately so....that's what they make the big bucks for!

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Let it go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

i get really informal communications from my children's teachers but then i work at the school & know them very well so it's a bit different.  i think if it were a teacher i didn't know & i got an email like that i'd be wondering about what my child is learning in their class.  i also think unless you are on very friendly terms with the parent a teacher shouldn't be so informal with their communication with a students parent.  just my opinion though.

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

yes they should be

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Are they sure it was actually written by the teacher? I'd call for verification. Sounds fishy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I've noticed emailing is becoming more regular in the schools for parent/teacher as well as student communications.  Some of my children go online to get class assignments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: