Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD- Email from the teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend just got an email from her son's high school English teacher and it has several grammatical errors. He misused colons. He ended a sentence with a period and then an exclamation mark. He also used the wrong verb tense. 

No to mention that email was pretty rude. The teacher obviously felt the parent was accusing him of losing her son's assignments but the email she sent didn't say that at all. So not only can the guy not write, he can't read. 

She's torn because nothing he's sent home has had errors like that. She wonders if he doesn't consider email a formal form of writing so he typed it out without rereading or thinking. Obviously many people feel that way about online communication. (Just look at all the posts on CM written in text speak) 

Do you think teachers should be formal when emailing parents?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, but I do think that teachers should use proper English when communicating with parents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I would expect a communication from a teacher to a parent to be professional.

I would not bring it to the principal based on "grammar police" charges, but it would certainly shape my opinion, expectations and dealings with this person.

LOL on grammar police.

Yeah, he looks like a total moron. If he wasn't an ENGLISH teacher he would still look like a moron. But when an English teacher doesn't know how to use a colon or end a sentence with only one kind of punctuation it's pretty scary. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I totally agree!!!

Gosh, he could have had a LITTLE more grace if it was any other subject - but sounds like it was pretty ridiculous for any subject!

I had a principal last year when I taught summer school that would use the wrong words in his emails all the time. Most emails would result in me staring at the screen in disbelief.
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

All of my daughter's teachers use proper English when sending me emails with the exception of her ASL teacher. She isn't accostomed to using proper English, as she is deaf, so it is expected...

dkrmlr
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I think they should be calling and not emailing.

maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Quoting dkrmlr:

I think they should be calling and not emailing.

It's not always easy to get teachers on the phone. My friend is a teacher so she can only call during her planning period and he can only get calls during his planning period. It would be very difficult for them to speak to each other. She just had a simple question so there was no need to go through days of phone tag trying to get an answer. 

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Absolutely!  not only formal but they need to still have manners when it comes to corresponding with a parent. Teachers and parents are a team, they are suppose to work together, not against each other.  Besides I (if i was the teacher) would have asked to speak to the parent in person or at least on the phone.

I was about to ask a question on cafemom and that question was "do you use spell check?" because I do, I really dislike reading something with grammatical errors... although I know some post are made from cellphones and they cant be corrected.

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

That just seems weird to me that an English teacher would write an email to a parent with such poor grammar.  I mean, I did not read the email, so I am not sure what was even said.  It just seemed odd to me.  I taught Language Arts, and I always reread my emails 10 times before sending them to a parent.  I would never want to send grammar/spelling mistakes in an email.  It would make me appear unprofessional and unable to teach the content I teach.

I am not sure who else it could be from...  Maybe a student had access to his email?  I don't know.  I used to leave my computer on, with my email open, during the school day.  Again, I didn't read the email (nor did I know that he mentioned the email when talking to her), but if I received such an email, I would have definitely confirmed it was from him.  Then I would probably consider printing out a copy of the email to show to the administration with a note about how they really need to encourage the teachers to use proper English grammar and spelling when communicating with parents.  I mean, really.  If his writing was that poor, it should be brought up.  He's making himself lose credibility, and that affects the image for the whole school.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Are they sure it was actually written by the teacher? I'd call for verification. Sounds fishy.

Who else could it have been from? It was from his email address. She spoke to him on the phone and he mentioned the email so he did write it. 

Why do you think it's fishy?

Rain2Rinse
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Eh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I agree with everything you're saying. 

I think he was upset when he wrote it. He typed it out while he was all fired up and hit send without rereading or thinking. 

She was saying she'd noticed that some of her son's assignments hadn't been put in the grade book yet. She wanted to know if he had really turned them in. She even said if he wasn't getting credit because they were late she understood. She just wanted to see if he was lying to her. 

He either misread it or decided she was implying he lost the assigments. I read her email and she didn't say that at all. But his reply was basically him being offended that she thought he lost them. The whole thing was crazy. But he admitted to sending it. 

Quoting Threes.Company:

That just seems weird to me that an English teacher would write an email to a parent with such poor grammar.  I mean, I did not read the email, so I am not sure what was even said.  It just seemed odd to me.  I taught Language Arts, and I always reread my emails 10 times before sending them to a parent.  I would never want to send grammar/spelling mistakes in an email.  It would make me appear unprofessional and unable to teach the content I teach.

I am not sure who else it could be from...  Maybe a student had access to his email?  I don't know.  I used to leave my computer on, with my email open, during the school day.  Again, I didn't read the email (nor did I know that he mentioned the email when talking to her), but if I received such an email, I would have definitely confirmed it was from him.  Then I would probably consider printing out a copy of the email to show to the administration with a note about how they really need to encourage the teachers to use proper English grammar and spelling when communicating with parents.  I mean, really.  If his writing was that poor, it should be brought up.  He's making himself lose credibility, and that affects the image for the whole school.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Are they sure it was actually written by the teacher? I'd call for verification. Sounds fishy.

Who else could it have been from? It was from his email address. She spoke to him on the phone and he mentioned the email so he did write it. 

Why do you think it's fishy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)