Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great foods to eat during labor

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 23 Replies

Quote:

Eating is important during early labor to keep up your strength and provide you with energy for your work. Many women find that they naturally no longer wish to eat once in active (serious) labor. Eat small portions of easily digested foods that you know that you like and that sound good to you at the time. Choose foods that are light and stomach-friendly. Complex carbohydrates are better choices than fatty or fried foods.

Some ideas are:

• soups
  • crackers
  • graham crackers
  • fruits
  • bananas
  • Jello
  • pasta
  • honey sticks (plastic tube with about a TB of honey in it–good quick energy boost, especially in a birth setting with restrictions on food or drink intake. See my previous post for a discussion of the validity of withholding food and drink from laboring women).
  • toast
  • broth
  • yogurt
  • herbal tea
  • white grape juice
  • apple juice
  • miso soup
  • popsicles
  • fruit juice or honey-sweetened tea frozen into ice cubes
  • cereal
  • noodles
  • rice
  • cooked cereals
  • scrambled or boiled egg
  • applesauce

It is also very important to stay hydrated during your labor! Try to take a sip of something every 15-30 minutes and at least once an hour. Have one of your labor support helpers follow you around with a drink with a straw in it and hold it to your lips every so often. If you feel like sucking, you will, if you don’t, you won’t. There is no need to have a big conversation about it every time. Some women like to drink apple juice during labor, other feel it is too acidic. Orange juice is not usually recommended as it might make you feel sick or vomit. Some women choose to drink a sports drink (like Gatorade). Water is always a good choice! Other women choose hard candy to suck on during labor. Be careful choosing a flavor, because you may taste it again later and it may bother you. Avoid carbonated drinks.

What about dad?

Make sure you have snacks packed for you as well! Avoid anything that will linger unpleasantly on your breath (garlicky pasta is out!) Dads may like to have some easy to grab, quickly nutritious snacks like trail mix, granola bars, peanut butter, nuts, fruit, or an already prepared sandwich.

http://talkbirth.me/2008/02/04/good-foods-to-eat-in-labor/

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I was only allowed broth, clear liquids and jello when I was induced with my girls. My son I don't remember getting anything but liquids. Brother never tasted so good than when I was in labor with my older daughter after hours of nothing, it tasted wonderful!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I was only given ice chips when I was in labor.I was so hungry!

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

when i was in labor the nurses gave me sliced peaches. they were heavenly.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yes the hospitals can be silly on their "policy" sometimes labor is one of the most important times to eat and drink and maintain energy. That is why I labored at home as long as possible and with the third one did not have a dr and the fourth have a midwife.

Quoting othermom:

I was only allowed broth, clear liquids and jello when I was induced with my girls. My son I don't remember getting anything but liquids. Brother never tasted so good than when I was in labor with my older daughter after hours of nothing, it tasted wonderful!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My oldest I didn't go in till I was 6-7 cm and got there at around 8pm and he arrived at 3:30 am. My girls were both induced.

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Yes the hospitals can be silly on their "policy" sometimes labor is one of the most important times to eat and drink and maintain energy. That is why I labored at home as long as possible and with the third one did not have a dr and the fourth have a midwife.

Quoting othermom:

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I had no idea. I wan't allowed anything my water broke in the middle of the night and them I had to have a c-section  

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, I want to say if the doctor or nurse won't "allow" you to eat while in labor, tell them to f$%^ off and get you some. They're not in charge of you.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yeah that is so crazy, and then they wonder why you don't progress as your body is tired and made to stay in a bed and you have no fuel

Quoting momofsixangels:

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Same here! 

Quoting momofsixangels:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)