Group Home

Smarter Mom: How long did those Christmas toys last?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

It's been almost a month...take a look where you keep those toys (that playroom, bedroom, er, the whole house). Spot the gifts the kiddos opened at 6:03 a.m. on December 25, the ones they begged for for months, the ones they would salivate over when the ads came on or when you passed them in the aisle at the store. See them?

Are they still playing with them? I'll confess, my daughter is still playing with about 63% of hers. The others? Well, about 21% haven't been played with yet (think games, a few books she hasn't started, and the like) and the final 16%? Played with maybe once. Now to be fair, one is a plastic microphone with a stand that has a thingy you can plug in your iPod into to sing along with your favorite songs (oh, "Call Me Maybe" 153 times at 7:54 a.m. Christmas morning always kicks off the holiday cheer). It is still in the box, having been shipped up from my parents (where we were for the holidays), so I need to re-assemble it.

But the others? Not so much action for those. Have we tallied up the cost of that played-with-only twice 16%? Not yet. Sigh.

I'm curious, aren't you? How many of their Christmas toys are your kids still playing with? How many are in a bucket, only used a few times?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ivanastar

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
He's big gift was an iPad 2 and yes he loves it, besides that yeah he still plays with pretty much everything. But maybe cause he didn't get tons like other years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

We're still playing with ours. I intentionally bought toys this year that would last throughout the year.

Sweets32285
by Jen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM
My daughter broke my sons helicopter like 2 days after Christmas. My son had all of his take away. He is slowly earning them back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

A few haven't been opened and most haven't been played with much.  The iPad was most worth it.  I need to remember this for next year.  No more toys!  Mostly just a waste of money

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

They are still playing with pretty much everything. Lego Star Wars hasn't been touched... I'll probably play it though, I love the Lego video games.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM

My children are actually still playing with theirs.

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM
My kids didn't get traditional type toys. ds1 got legos which all his sets are built. he still has a kinex roller coaster to build. ds2 still plays with what he got which included an air hockey table and a lite brite
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

She is still playing with her i pad. Other stuff not so much.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM
We just finished my son's last Lego set last week, but of course he still plays with them after they're built. He plays on his tablet almost daily, he's wearing Christmas pajamas today, we use the Nerf guns and costumes once a week... Yeah, I'd say Christmas gifts are stylish alive and well in our house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Mine are older and didn't get toys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky