Smarter Style: Nail polish to beat the winter blues

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am not a very "girlie" girl in the typical sense of the word...don't dig spas, hate massages, rarely wear dresses. But I have a daughter, who is getting more and more into "girlier" stuff. What does a mom do? Well, I support her in exploring all aspects of her woman-ness, the tough "Girls can do anything boys do" part, as well as the more "girlie" elements. So, we've started doing Mama-Kiddo At-Home Mani-Pedis (that was a overload of hyphenation, wasn't it?). I actually love trying out new shades...and during these gray cold winter days, who can't use a little pop of color? Someday, I want to meet the folks that get to sit around and think up the names. Now, that would be a fun job.

Kind of a neutral, it will stand with you no matter what you are wearing...aptly named Faithful by ILLAMASQUA over on Sephora.com. It has a bit of glitter, just enough make that coppery color sassy.

Yes, Yves Saint Laurent, ladies. In Peacock blue. I mean, how much classier can a gal get? Called Blue Majorelle (you can snag it at Sephora), I love how it makes me think of the ocean and vacation and not the freezing temperatures and brutal city wind.

To really express my longing for warmer weather, how about this cool, blue-ish green pastel? Butter London makes it, called it Fiver, and I think it could be my new go-to instead of a pastel pink. Possibly. Buy it at Ulta.com.

Essie could have THE best names, and this one doesn't disappoint (read a bunch of their genius names for a laugh at Target. com). Smokin' Hot is a "fox-grey" color and I am in love it with it. Yes, I wear a lot of gray already, but with an oh-so-slight hint of eggplant-y purple, it makes it anything but drab.

Finally, how about a new red for Valentine's Day? Again, the name makes me giggle: Dinner for 2. From Sephora's own line on the website, it is a bit pink, a bit red, kind of beet-y. A fun "I'm ready for fun" color to rock at date night and school pick-up.

Do you paint your nails? What is your go-to shade?

ŠiStockphoto.com/kaslam 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Red
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica198027
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Mix of pearly green and a dark blue in a marble design on my nails and my daughters. It is cool looking.

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Always have both toes & nails painted,
Usually in some kind of glitter shade :)

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Peacock Blue is kinda cute !

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I only paint my toe nails and right now they are Bright Green....like Type O Negative Green.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Pretty colors!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I get my nails done every couple weeks

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I usually wear pink if I paint my nails. I have a few fun colors for my toes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Nope, no nail polish here or nails. hehe

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM

i usually paint my toenails.. the last two shades would be my go to colors. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: