Ok I really need to work out...

Posted by   + Show Post
I did "bop to the top" today with a friend. I've never done anything like this, not even a marathon. It's climbing 37 flights of stairs as quickly as you can. I'm athletic but I've fallen off the wagon lately and I've never been a runner. I thought that since this was short I'd be fine, I about died! It just was a reminder that I need to find the time and get back to it!

I did finish, which I was proud of, and my time was 13 min and 2 seconds. My friend did it in 8! The winner did it in 3!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Replies (61-70):
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I know how you feel! I've always been in good shape and work-out regularly but I was recently chosen to do a work-out with Jackie Warner and just about died. lol! At least it made me realize that I need to step it up!

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Amen to that. There always something to work on.

Quoting ceciliam:

I know how you feel! I've always been in good shape and work-out regularly but I was recently chosen to do a work-out with Jackie Warner and just about died. lol! At least it made me realize that I need to step it up!

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Good job! That's a really good amount for a month

Quoting momkaribg:

They never hurt before my last pregnancy then i gained over 40 pounds and im still 40 pound more than i was before he was born. Hes 9 months now. I have gotten really serious about it this month and have lost 6 pounds. Its coming off slowly.

Quoting MamaJane:

You can do it! Losing weight will help for sure and then you'll be able to see if the knees are a bigger issue. If your knees keep bothering you, you can still work out but a marathon might not be what you should aim for.

Quoting momkaribg:

Wow I would love to lose weight be more fit and run a marathon but my knees have been killing me. I am counting calories though so that's a start.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
It's the tallest building around here. The bank one tower in Indy.

Quoting lasombrs:

where didi you find 37 flights of stairs? lol congrats

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Good job getting active! It's amazing how working out makes you want to work out lol. Once you get moving you want to keep moving. What kind of kickboxing is it? I teach kickboxing and the way I do it, you can take it easy or go all out.

Quoting yvonne37:

37 flights!! wow.. lol.. i would have finished on my knees lol.. i am starting to work out and so far I can get on the treadmill for 30 min on 4 speed and 2 incline. I am integrating upper body weights and I can feel it working. I love it! I have been very sedentary these past 3 years and packed the weight, but not anymore. 

I am also utilizing my college's gym and pool.. its for free! and school starts for me tomorrow, so as soon as I am done with class I will be either jumping in the pool or working out. I wish I could find a boxing training class, we had a punching bag and I loved to go at it... I am so out of shape that I would have to work out for a while before even trying to go on kickboxing or boxing classes.

Keep it up.. step climbing is great.

momkaribg
by Kari on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Thank you.

Quoting MamaJane:

Good job! That's a really good amount for a month

Quoting momkaribg:

They never hurt before my last pregnancy then i gained over 40 pounds and im still 40 pound more than i was before he was born. Hes 9 months now. I have gotten really serious about it this month and have lost 6 pounds. Its coming off slowly.

Quoting MamaJane:

You can do it! Losing weight will help for sure and then you'll be able to see if the knees are a bigger issue. If your knees keep bothering you, you can still work out but a marathon might not be what you should aim for.

Quoting momkaribg:

Wow I would love to lose weight be more fit and run a marathon but my knees have been killing me. I am counting calories though so that's a start.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Thanks :) I dont know what type of kickboxing to do.. or even where to find a class. Maybe I can get a video?  I set up my garage with the treadmill and weights (would love to have more space to put a punching bag, maybe later).  I have to find out who teaches or has a class around me.  Any recommendations? (on type of classes).

Quoting MamaJane:

Good job getting active! It's amazing how working out makes you want to work out lol. Once you get moving you want to keep moving. What kind of kickboxing is it? I teach kickboxing and the way I do it, you can take it easy or go all out.

Quoting yvonne37:

37 flights!! wow.. lol.. i would have finished on my knees lol.. i am starting to work out and so far I can get on the treadmill for 30 min on 4 speed and 2 incline. I am integrating upper body weights and I can feel it working. I love it! I have been very sedentary these past 3 years and packed the weight, but not anymore. 

I am also utilizing my college's gym and pool.. its for free! and school starts for me tomorrow, so as soon as I am done with class I will be either jumping in the pool or working out. I wish I could find a boxing training class, we had a punching bag and I loved to go at it... I am so out of shape that I would have to work out for a while before even trying to go on kickboxing or boxing classes.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I work at a martial arts school. The classes were initially more expensive then a regular fitness class but I got him to get the price down quite a bit. We taught more self defense stuff along with it. You could look at martial arts places around you. You are going to get more quality that way. I'm not a huge fan of taebo type stuff but whatever gets the job done. We actually work with a partner and work up and down a mat using pads to kick and hit. One person 'feeds' or hold the pads on certain locations and the other kicks or hits the pads.

If you can't find or afford a studio then yeah get a video. It's really good cardio. Being in a class, with friends, is way more fun though.

Quoting yvonne37:

Thanks :) I dont know what type of kickboxing to do.. or even where to find a class. Maybe I can get a video?  I set up my garage with the treadmill and weights (would love to have more space to put a punching bag, maybe later).  I have to find out who teaches or has a class around me.  Any recommendations? (on type of classes).

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting yvonne37:

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I don't even think I could make 3 flights of stairs...way to go girl!

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM

gotha ... :) thanks!

Quoting MamaJane:

I work at a martial arts school. The classes were initially more expensive then a regular fitness class but I got him to get the price down quite a bit. We taught more self defense stuff along with it. You could look at martial arts places around you. You are going to get more quality that way. I'm not a huge fan of taebo type stuff but whatever gets the job done. We actually work with a partner and work up and down a mat using pads to kick and hit. One person 'feeds' or hold the pads on certain locations and the other kicks or hits the pads.

If you can't find or afford a studio then yeah get a video. It's really good cardio. Being in a class, with friends, is way more fun though.

Quoting yvonne37:

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting yvonne37:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: