Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids scouts?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6 y/o just started Daisy scouts, they are soo cute.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My oldest used to be.I was a bluebird when I was younger and loved the experience

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My oldest dd was in girl scouts.I wish the others could be but they don't have chapters near us

happy2bmom25
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I have two boys in cub scouts right now. This is dh's second year being a den leader. Hopefully all the kids will try it out at least. Scouting was such a good experience for me!

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thanks! It was a great year to get it too. 2010, 100 years :) He was 15. He busted butt to get it so early. He was also been choosen as Vigil in Order of the Arrow for the volunteer work he does with the Shooting Sports Committee helping all the scout & scouters. We love scouts, one thing that is different about boy scouts is that is a family activity really. It is usually year round & it is a part of your life for YEARS, so, it is a lot different than other things, LOL. 

Quoting MamaJane:

That's awesome and congrats to your son! That's quite an accomplishment.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I have an Eagle Scout :) Love it. Great program. He started at 6 as a tiger. I also started locally a kinder program for boys. National has now finally started a pilot program of it! So happy!

Sophie4910
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Not yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yeah. It isn't a dig really either. I love my hubby LOL, but really guys aren't as detail oriented ( of course not all, but in general ). At least not in the same things as us. They are also, on the norm, the ones that will let certain things 'go' longer than a mom would. So to moms it is like, OMGOSH I am going to pull my hair out, why are they allowing this, this isn't organized right. You go to a girl scout meeting and it might be just so. LOL. A. you are dealing with women running it & B. you are dealing with girls LOL. Even women leaders in boy scouts, they have adjusted ROFL. But, usually if there are more women in the like Committee Chair or those type of positions, you will see more organizings or military guys, you will see more. Sometimes you just say, hey, would you need help with a calendar? With work, I need a little more notice to get Sam to events but I would be happy to help with that. This way you are giving a reason without being nasty to them, AND you offering to help. Now, you know about events first, and you can get that info to everyone else early LOL. Or you help out with something else, it helps, like, is there a belt loops list I or my husband could help teach? LOL Or older then its Merit Badges. Lets have a meeting about that? Oh yeah thats a good idea LOL ;)

Quoting MamaJane:

That is a very good point! All the areas in our pack that are run by the moms are the areas that run smoothly.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting MamaJane:

I think you have to keep in mind that all these people are volunteers and have day jobs. It is frustrating at times. The kids have to live it and it is really good for my son who is a little immature for his age. He's a bear this year. 

Great points. Also, I always remind everyone, if it unorganized, help. Take a position, become a leader, take over a part of it you want to change :) Don't just quit or let your kids quit for that reason.

And I remind people it is guys ( mostly ), they aren't as organized, by nature, as women. So it will seem different and that is okay. Help them out  some but also it can be a bit unorganized, that is okay LOL.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
That is really young. And yes my experience has been that we do so much more then we did in Girl Scouts. He learns things, Girl Scouts was all parties.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Thanks! It was a great year to get it too. 2010, 100 years :) He was 15. He busted butt to get it so early. He is also been choosen as Vigil in Order of the Arrow for the volunteer work he does with the Shooting Sports Committee helping all the scout & scouters. We love scouts, one thing that is different about boy scouts is that is a family activity really. It is usually year round & it is a part of your life for YEARS, so, it is a lot different than other things, LOL. 

Quoting MamaJane:

That's awesome and congrats to your son! That's quite an accomplishment.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I have an Eagle Scout :) Love it. Great program. He started at 6 as a tiger. I also started locally a kinder program for boys. National has now finally started a pilot program of it! So happy!

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Not yet, maybe when they are older
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM
You are right. I need to try and be more involved next year. But I may avoid popcorn lol.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yeah. It isn't a dig really either. I love my hubby LOL, but really guys aren't as detail oriented ( of course not all, but in general ). At least not in the same things as us. They are also, on the norm, the ones that will let certain things 'go' longer than a mom would. So to moms it is like, OMGOSH I am going to pull my hair out, why are they allowing this, this isn't organized right. You go to a girl scout meeting and it might be just so. LOL. A. you are dealing with women running it & B. you are dealing with girls LOL. Even women leaders in boy scouts, they have adjusted ROFL. But, usually if there are more women in the like Committee Chair or those type of positions, you will see more organizings or military guys, you will see more. Sometimes you just say, hey, would you need help with a calendar? With work, I need a little more notice to get Sam to events but I would be happy to help with that. This way you are giving a reason without being nasty to them, AND you offering to help. Now, you know about events first, and you can get that info to everyone else early LOL. Or you help out with something else, it helps, like, is there a belt loops list I or my husband could help teach? LOL Or older then its Merit Badges. Lets have a meeting about that? Oh yeah thats a good idea LOL ;)

Quoting MamaJane:

That is a very good point! All the areas in our pack that are run by the moms are the areas that run smoothly.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting MamaJane:

I think you have to keep in mind that all these people are volunteers and have day jobs. It is frustrating at times. The kids have to live it and it is really good for my son who is a little immature for his age. He's a bear this year. 

Great points. Also, I always remind everyone, if it unorganized, help. Take a position, become a leader, take over a part of it you want to change :) Don't just quit or let your kids quit for that reason.

And I remind people it is guys ( mostly ), they aren't as organized, by nature, as women. So it will seem different and that is okay. Help them out  some but also it can be a bit unorganized, that is okay LOL.

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

no. My oldest wanted to join cub scouts but we didnt end up doing it. Now when my DD gets of age, she will be joining. I wanted to do it when i was younger and didnt get to, so I hope she is ok with doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN