Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids scouts?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6 y/o just started Daisy scouts, they are soo cute.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
MichelleMc
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting MamaJane:

That is really young. And yes my experience has been that we do so much more then we did in Girl Scouts. He learns things, Girl Scouts was all parties.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Thanks! It was a great year to get it too. 2010, 100 years :) He was 15. He busted butt to get it so early. He is also been choosen as Vigil in Order of the Arrow for the volunteer work he does with the Shooting Sports Committee helping all the scout & scouters. We love scouts, one thing that is different about boy scouts is that is a family activity really. It is usually year round & it is a part of your life for YEARS, so, it is a lot different than other things, LOL. 

Quoting MamaJane:

That's awesome and congrats to your son! That's quite an accomplishment.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I have an Eagle Scout :) Love it. Great program. He started at 6 as a tiger. I also started locally a kinder program for boys. National has now finally started a pilot program of it! So happy!

Our troop was very focused ( we had a good many military guys ) and a lot of parent involvement. Since we did, we did alot of focus. Like we could camp a lot, we had merit badge sessions & alot of people as merit badge counsellors. With all the involvement, we had most of the Eagle Merit Badges covered with parents/leaders. My husband is an NRA certified instructor so he could do Rifle & Shot gun. We did Venture for a while too, he could also do pistol ( can only do pistol in venture scout ). They also made sure to look for chances in the area like a local pool opened up to the council to do lifesaving, swimming, etc so kids didn't have to wait for camp to get those. We were always watching for chances, bring it to the kids, the kids voted on if they were going. It was boy run as it should be, but we were always watching for things they could go to if they wanted to. They had the adults to drive, be 2 deep leadership & participate, lead them at functions. That helps. Plus of course all the fun stuff, they got to do that too. 

Parent/Leader involvement is key. We had the most Eagle Scouts out of any troop in our area.

Summer camp was awesome too. The first year my son went, they had it set up that if you really worked at it, did your pre requs, you could actually get like 8 merit badges. So he knocked out like swimming & 7 others, most were Eagle Required.  

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Oh Yeah I hate popcorn, LOL. Most of our trooops around here do it, but not hard. We find other things to do LOL. 

I was leader but my main thing is Committee Chair. But even just helping without a title is always great. Any help is great. Someone I could count on at a meeting or event, etc. was always great.

Quoting MamaJane:

You are right. I need to try and be more involved next year. But I may avoid popcorn lol.

choaspartyof4
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM
No my son is too into sports. He plays soccer in the spring and indoor soccer in the winter, basketball, and baseball in the fall. He also does a science program through the school when it is offered twice a yr that he loves.
Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

no but i cant wait for my dd to turn 5 i think thats when thet start daisies

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

nope

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No, but I'm DD has shown some interest.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I hope she will be when she gets older.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That's nice...mine are not in Scouts...hope she enjoys it...

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Not yet.

lwalker270
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We were in scouting a couple years ago, but it just wasn't the right troop for us for a number of reasons.  We just started back with a different troop and we're having a much better experience.  Both the boys love it so far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)