Group Home

Smarter Mom: I need a hobby!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

We went to a birthday party this weekend....it was an ice-skating party at Wollman Rink in Central Park. Talk about the most picturesque place you can don some skates and take a spin on the ice - surrounded by the trees and then the fabulous NYC skyline poking out. So, my husband took Kiddo out there, for only her second time ice-skating. He grew up playing hockey, so, even though it had been a few years since he last laced up some skates, he was pretty adept at guiding her along. She loved it and wants to go back again. No pressure, no classes, just fun...this could be the start of a cool hobby for her.

Me? I was on the sidelines. I don't skate. I don't ski. I don't even swing a tennis racket that well. I realized I don't have a hobby...not even a non-sports-related one. Now, as Kiddo is reaching that age to start to introduce these fun hobbies, maybe I need to think about a hobby I could start too. Knitting? Eh...not so much. Running? The sad fact is my knees aren't in great shape. Photography? I thought I could dabble in that about 15 years ago and it just didn't click (no pun intended).

Do you have a hobby? Any suggestions? What do you love to do in your spare time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I have too many hobbies so pick one

I knit, crochet, freeform fiber art, spin yarn, paint, scrapbook, make altered books, sew, quilt, bake, cook, cycle, yoga, meditate, and make jewelry.

I keep telling my family I want to start a blog but that is yet another hobby to go off of my current hobbies. I really should.

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

o my gosh I have a ton of hobbies! 

I loom knitt ( easier than normal knitting), i sew, sing, write songs, play guitar, dance, play online, read,travel,photography,skate,love visiting museums, garden, decorate, do crafts & dyi

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I like to scrap book

white_wolf454
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM

I am part of the SCA  ,The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more. http://sca.org/

OrientalLily
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:08 AM
I had hobbies, once upon a time. But life got too busy for my hobbies. I used to knit, crochet, cross stitch, and hardanger. I'm hoping life will let me get back into it.
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I used to have hobbies, BCM THAT IS. (before Cafe Mom)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Pretty cool!

Quoting white_wolf454:

I am part of the SCA  ,The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more. http://sca.org/

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol! Cm is a hobby!

Quoting elasmimi:

I used to have hobbies, BCM THAT IS. (before Cafe Mom)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:29 AM
I actually can ice skate and roller skate and I love it.

I just took up running because I'm training for a half marathon. It's not really for fun because I hate running lol.

I crochet. I like to workout. I volunteer a lot.
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I do a lot of volunteer work, never thought of it as a hobby. I read too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci