Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Great YA books I want my kid to read

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a reader. I could spend hours in a bookstore, just checking out all of the books, finding old novels I loved, spying new ones I want to tackle. Yup, I love to read. I do not read as much as I would like and these days, when I am reading, I'm reading to my kiddo. She's taking the first steps into the whole beautiful world of books. I've already thought about all of the young adult books (many that are series) I can't wait for her to read in a few years, ones I will happily re-read right along with her. A few that I'm chomping at the bit for her to love as much as I do? Here they are:

Summerland by Michael Chabon - A journey that follows Ethan Feld as he has to enter an alternate world to find his father and save everyone. The novel pairs fantasy and baseball...and is a perfect read for boys and girls alike.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Totally hot right now, I love this series as it explores the issues of class, strength and family in the midst of a spectacular science-fiction world. Katniss Evergreen is a complex, compelling character for Kiddo to admire.

The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter - A spy school for girls is the main backdrop for these fun reads. Talk about strong girls role models-- these gals can speak a gazillion languages and break spy codes, all while dealing with typical middle school-high school issues.

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan -- Kiddo will learn about Greek gods and more when she delves into these novels with adventures that span all areas of the earth (as well as those areas beyond Earth). They are penned by the masterful storyteller Rick Riordan, and the cover art is by the awesome John Rocco.

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling -- Of course, I mean, I've mentioned my love for the series here often and I know my daughter will fall in love with the world and the characters as much as I did. J.K. Rowling explores life, death, good, evil, friendship, loyalty and yes, magic.

What favorite books do you want your kids to read? Have they tackled any of them yet -- and did they love them as much as you did?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ duaneellison

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM
My son is only 5, but he enjoys being read to... I definitely want him to enjoy HP, Hunger Games, and hopefully Percy Jackson.

I have also enjoyed the Savvy books, and of course anything by EB White, though that's a bit younger.

Oh I love reading, and I've really tried to help my son develop a love of books, too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Mine are too young for YA books still. But I have many. I avidly read YA lit. Hunger Games is a great trilogy. The Bloody Jack series. Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book. The Airborn Trilogy. Anne of Green Gables. So many more!

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM

ds is only 4 so we are working on dr. seuss still 

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

i want my kids to read a few of those too. the oldest is 3 right now though so it will be a while :)

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Little women.I loved that book.Hope my girls will read it

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
My son just got done reading harry potter he is reading eragon now. 5th grade ugh I love that he can read at high level but we have to watch content
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My oldest is reading the Harry Potter books and wants to read the Hunger Games next. Im going to check out the Gallagher Girls series for her, she might like that. 

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

i think my girls would enjoy harry potter books when they get older....i read them all except the last few

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM

my daughter got the 2nd & 3rd hunger games books for christmas.  she's rereading the first so she can "flow" right into the second.  while she liked the movies she hasn't had an interest in reading the harry potter books & non of the others seem like they'd apeal to her.

as for me, i haven't read any of the above listed series, some i haven't even heard of.

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Anything to keep them interested in reading. Let them read everthing be it a comic book or a novel way beyond their years. As long as they are enjoying the book is all tha really matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)