Group Home

So glad that is OVER!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 36 Replies

Every year, preschool registration is just a totally stressful MESS.  Around here, it is COMPETITIVE.  Everyone wants AM preschool classes and there are only so many spots.  Our preschool is at a Lutheran Church in our neighborhood, and a majority of parents in the neighborhood use this private preschool -- mainly because it is so close by.  It's easy to drop of your elementary school kids AND get to preschool drop-off on time, too.  Plus, it's a close-knit community, so then the kids go into kindergarten with a bunch of friends.  Those AM classes are VERY POPULAR, though.

Next year, my sons will be going into the two MOST popular classes...  The Pre-K program (5 days per week, only 10 students in the class) and the Threes class (3 days per week).  Both of these are morning classes. 

The way registration works is that the doors open at 7:30AM.  You go in and you are given a number (in order).  Then you get to leave until registration starts at 9AM.  That number just holds your spot so you don't have to sit around all morning waiting (thank God they do that, some schools do not!).  They start calling the numbers at 9AM.

I knew I had to get there EARLY to get a spot in these classes.  I had my husband take a later train to work this morning so he could get my daughter to the elementary school so I would not be late for 9AM registration!  Then I arrived at the school at 6:45AM to get in line for a number.  I was the first person to arrive, so I got #1, which means I got to register FIRST today.  Woo hoo!!!

Then panic set in when someone reminded me that church families already had a chance to register first.  UGH!!!  Someone heard that 7 spots were already taken for the PreK class!!  Either way, I would be fine since I was first... I was so nervous -- what if they were wrong? What if it filled?  Turns out, that was not true.  There were 7 spots LEFT.  My son did get in.  Knowing that there were moms just behind me in line, registering for PreK, I was SO THANKFUL I decided to be crazy and show up 45 mins early this morning.

Both my kids got into the classes we wanted, and I was able to register my friend's son too (they allow you to bring paperwork for one other family).  All set!!!

Huge weight lifted off my shoulders now...  I feel like I can enjoy the rest of my week. :)

Anyone else have crazy competitive preschool registration??

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM
That's nuts! Just for preschool? No it's not crazy like that around here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Wow congrats! When I lived in NY people would line up the night before to get one of a few spots for public school pre-k
Threes.Company
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yup!  It's crazy.  Our school is actually MILD, too!!!

There is a really expensive private preschool about 10 mins away (non-religious).  That one starts registration at around 8AM... and parents line up at 3AM.  I am not even kidding.  That, to me, is insanity.  I would choose another school before I would line up in the middle of the night.  No, thanks!  The earliest I could do would be some time during the 6AM hour!  LOL!

Quoting MamaJane:

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Thats insane!

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Oh, I totally believe it!!

Quoting cjsmom1:

Wow congrats! When I lived in NY people would line up the night before to get one of a few spots for public school pre-k

ausomezombie2.0
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting MamaJane:

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I know!  And it doesn't stop there...  It is like this for park district soccer, too!!!  NO JOKE!   Although, that is done online... but still, it was so competitive that the mass flow of people trying to log on to register all at the same time actually BROKE THEIR SYSTEM DOWN!  You could not register until a couple hours later because they had to fix it. 

This town can be crazy.  I hate that getting your kids into activities is so stressful.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Thats insane!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM
My DD didn't go to pre-k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Glad they got it. Not sure if registering for others is fair though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That's perfectly OK, too.

My kids just LOVE it.  My boys will have 3 years of preschool before going to kindergarten and my daughter had 2 years.  The boys have later birthdays, so they qualified for the 2.5-year-old class, which is why they get a third year.  She is a May baby, so she was not 2.5 by the time school started that fall.  We really love their preschool.  The teachers are great and the other families are wonderful.  It's been a positive experience for our kids.  So much so that I will wait in line at 6:45AM to get them the classes we want!! :)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

My DD didn't go to pre-k.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690