Pistachios make an interesting and tasty addition to this pesto. Look for roasted pistachios that are in the shell because they're more economical than shelled nuts.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled pistachios
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (5-ounce) package arugula
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain.
- 2. Combine basil, nuts, and garlic in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add basil mixture, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in pasta, tomato, and next 3 ingredients (through beans); cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, tossing to combine. Remove from heat. Add arugula to pan, and toss to slightly wilt. Place about 1 1/4 cups pasta mixture in each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.