Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling guilty

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 25 Replies

My DD's school open house is tonight.  It starts in a half hour and lasts until 8PM.  You can go whenever during that window.  I do not at ALL want to go.  I am SO exhausted.  Like, ready to go to bed at 7PM exhausted.  It's been a long day, the kids are on my last nerve.  The temperature DROPPED this afternoon so it is super cold out and now it's snowing/sleeting.  The last thing I want to do right now is get 3 kids over to the school (we'll have to park blocks away and walk since so many families will be there -- the lot is tiny).  UGH. 

The thing is, I am at her school ALL THE TIME.  I was just there on Monday for Mystery Reader.  I volunteer as a helper for her teacher once a month, doing her project and assignment prep work and copying, etc.  I am a classroom coordinator so I have been at every class party.  I am the one that did Meet and Greet with her.  I am the one that went to her conference.  I am there a LOT.  I know her classroom.  I know the school.  I know what they've been doing since I am the one that deals with her take-home folder and her homework and returned assignments.  I am very "in the know", so Open House is not really necessary for me.

I am considering sending her with just her dad tonight.  I can keep the boys home and start getting them bathed and ready for bed while she brings her dad around.  He never gets to see all that stuff.  I do think that it would be good for her to have that time to share all this stuff with her dad...  But I feel guilty for not wanting to go myself.  I think I would be thrilled to go if I weren't there so much already.  Plus my boys' behavior has been awful today and the thought of dragging them to a school event is not exciting.

Sigh.  Am I a horrible mom for skipping this tonight?  When I asked DD what she preferred -- all of us going together (brothers included) or her going alone with Dad, she said she wants to go with just Dad.  (They rarely get one-on-one time with him.)  I wish I could shake the guilty feeling, though...

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ur not a horrible mom at all! What did you end up doing?

Rain2Rinse
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I dot think so at all. I wouldn't go. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You are not a horrible mom--my issue would be the sleet/snow I do not drive in that with my child in the car. It's not safe.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I would send dad. It makes way more sense. Just tonight I asked Tom to do homework with the youngest because I needed a break, Trevor deserves to have dad time too and Tom needs to see what they are doing now and then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you sent her with her dad...thats what I would do !

SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Im with you!

Quoting MamaJane:

I would send dad. It makes way more sense. Just tonight I asked Tom to do homework with the youngest because I needed a break, Trevor deserves to have dad time too and Tom needs to see what they are doing now and then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

nope not horrible.. what did you end up doing

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Send her dad :)

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

HUGS..And I'd send daddy...Or just skip it since it's sleeting/snowing out..

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM

You aren't horrible at all.  She will have a more enjoyable time not having to compete with her brothers.  I don't blame you a bit and hope you stayed home.  You are in no way, shape, or form a horrible mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)