Smarter Mom: Big Game Fun Wih Kids

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not, repeat NOT, a football fan. Kind of hate it, always have. But I do enjoy the Super Bowl. It's not fun so much for the football as for an excuse to eat snacks, drink beer, watch commercials and hang out with my family and friends.

If you have little kids, the big game might not be so awesome. It goes late, too late for most little ones to be up, and while some of the commercials are fantastic (I've made my kids watch this Chrysler ad from a few years ago about a million times because it makes our town look so tough!) some are not exactly kid-friendly.  But they still can participate in the excitement. Wear your favorite team's jerseys, watch some of the pregame hoopla, and go online to learn a little more about the host city and what it takes to put on Super Bowl. And of course, snacks are essential. Try healthier options like veggies and hummus or a low-fat sour cream dip.

Or you can skip it altogether and take advantage of fewer crowds everywhere else. In our town, Sesame Street Live is always playing the week of the Super Bowl and tickets are super-cheap that day. Movie theaters, museums and kid play spaces are likely to be pretty empty as well.

What are your family's plans for the Super Bowl?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

going to a friend's. I'm not a football fan, but I like the food, getting together with friend, and watching the commercials.

lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

we dont have tv so we dont have plans

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

No plans.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We are catching up on homework she missed while she was sick. And watching Sponge Bob, probably.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My son is a huge football fan, so he will be watching the game, the girls will be playing with toys and with their cousin

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

we aren't sports people and never watch any

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

We hung out

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My family and I had pizza and breadsticks from Little Ceasars and then watched the Superbowl and watch the commericals. That is all we did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: