Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Claiming Style for Yourself

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

Style can be a struggle for moms; not that we don't have it, but because the demands of our lives frequently mean that focusing on our appearance comes dead last. And I really hate when people sneer at someone "dressing like a mom" because you know why moms sometimes rely on yoga pants and don't wear makeup? Because when we're chasing kids, working, grocery shopping, and making sure everyone in our family has everything they need, from dawn until well past dusk, we need to be comfortable and feel good and if that means yoga pants, so be it.

That said, I think we need to give ourselves permission to do what makes us feel pretty. If that's actually spending money on clothes for yourself instead of for your kids, great. If it's taking five minutes in the morning to swipe on some makeup or style your hair, give yourself that time. Whatever makes you feel better, more confident, or like you're still "with it," we need to give ourselves permission to do it. I know I have agonized about spending like $5 on a new lipgloss when I don't really "need" it, but wearing that lipgloss makes me feel stylish and put together so it's totally worth it. So does getting my hair trimmed and colored. I told my husband I will happily wear the same clothes for 10 years as long as I can get my hair done professionally.

What makes you feel pretty? And do you give yourself permission to do it?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Dressing up as "Vixen" for my husband...I get to play with clothes and make up..My hair pretty much stays the same=LONG..(Almost to my waist now, YAY) We like it, the older girls think we're nuts..We say "Tell us that when YOU'VE bee married for 21 years"... 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Dressing up does, I do it occasionally

bether89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Taking the time to blow dry my hair and fix it, makes me feel better.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I feel pretty when I spend time doing my hair and I wear more make up then usaual like blush and eye shadow,I do it maybe once a month.I usually just put my hair up

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

when my hair acts right i feel pretty(I have crazy curly hair that has a mind of it's own).

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

makeup....when i have time!

Jacqalyn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Dressing up. Having on a nice outfit, make up, and my hair fixed and not just in a pony tail.
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Taking time to put makeup on and actually do my hair.

mereinhart28
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

a great new pair of jeans. 

dressing up. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I put my makeup on everyday & have been good about actually styling my hair also.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)