This dish offers make-ahead options: You can assemble the enchiladas up to two days ahead, cover, refrigerate, and bake them before serving. And if your family eats in shifts, just make individual servings, as we did in the photo above.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 9 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 6 minutes on each side. Place skillet in oven; bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred. Discard bones. Place chicken in a medium bowl; stir in cream cheese, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- 3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add onion, and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove 3 tablespoons onion mixture; add to chicken. Add chili powder, red pepper, and cumin to remaining onion mixture in pan; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth, 3/4 cup water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Tear 1 tortilla into small pieces; add to tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Carefully pour tomato mixture into a blender, and process until smooth.
- 4. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7–inch glass or ceramic baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Warm remaining 8 tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam-side down in prepared dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over filled tortillas. Sprinkle filled tortillas with cheddar cheese. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions.