Our quick ricotta method is inexpensive and easy, and truly makes this weeknight pasta dish shine.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Cost per Serving: $1.62
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons small mint leaves
- 1. Combine milk and buttermilk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; drain. Place milk solids in a small bowl; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss gently to combine.
- 2. Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add zucchini; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently; stir in tomatoes. Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta, and tomato mixture in a large bowl; toss. Top with ricotta and mint.
on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM