Group Home

getting frustrated & worried.. EDITED UPDATE 1 UPDATE 2

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDAT 2: we took her in they didnt give us a def diagnosis. They gave her a nausea shot and antibiotics to kick what ever out and gave us canned food to mix w/ her dog food to get her to eat and said if shes not better in a couple days call back.

Ok so i have a german shepered she will be 1 march 3rd. Had her first heat cycle around dec 2nd done around jan 23 i think. Ok now shes been laying around alot and i put food down yesterday (friday) around noon and she ate half of what she normally does and hasnt touched it since.. im not sure if shes been drinking water since thats always down. While in heat i kept her on lock down as we dont want any puppys.. dh took her outside during the last week of it and she took off to neighbors not sure if there is a dog over there but since we've lived here since oct ive hear/seen no dogs so im not sure theres a dog over there she was done a few mins. He says nouthing happend but idk. And from my understanding its only the 2nd week of the cycle she will let another male mount so she would have been out of that time frame? But she doesnt want to eat her dog food and she has been laying around ALOT. We had chicken for lunch and she ate a couple tiny square pieces of that but not really gobled it up. So i know no ones a vet in here was just wanting opinions. I did call the vet earlier and they said im over feeding her she gets 2c. Of food 3x a day and normals eats it right up. And shes not over weight so i dont understand how id be over feeding her and since shes still technically a puppy i thought you're suppose to feed them 3x a day?

Tia :)

OK SO NOW IM FREAKING OUT ABOUT PYROMETRA OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED THAT DOGS CAN GET. I GOOGLED SOME SYMPTOMS AND WHAT NOT AND THAT CAME UP :( NOW I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HER TO THE VET BUT THE VET DIDNT MENTION THAT COULD BE A POSSIBILITY JUST LOOKING FROM GOOGLE IS HOW I COME ABOUT THIS.

Update 1: she threw up about 15 mins ago yellow and whiteish color she has vet apt at 10. Will update when we get answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM

you can try chicken and rice if she will eat it make sure she drinks dont let her dehydrate

Quoting holmes212:

I keep trying to get her too.. she willl eat chicken and hamburger but not the food and its the same food as shes always had and she loves it normally :/ do you think i should do like a chicken & rice or hamburger and rice mixture until we go to vet?

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I would deff take her in to see a vet that sounds like shes sick not pregnant, they want to eat when they are pregnant make sure she drinks at least until you can get her to a vet.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I would take her in.Maybe she ate something on the ground she found and it made her sick or something stung her

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Make sure she is getting water. When our dog was sick we gave him chicken broth (low sodium) to encourage him to drink. You can also take a dogs temperature to see if they have a fever....yep....there ; )

holmes212
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Shes still laying around she got down off the couch when we had dinner but still didnt eat.. then she went back to the couch then sister came to pick up niece and she got down and barked when the door bell rang and when they came in she went down and greeted them but then back to the couch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM

2 cups 2x/day.

But never mind the amount of food....what did the vet say about her behaviour?

holmes212
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM
They didnt seem to be concerned i almost feel like they ignored that fact. Im going to see when the guy vet is in and take her he does a great job and always seems concerned as for the others they kind of push it off.

Quoting EireLass:

2 cups 2x/day.

But never mind the amount of food....what did the vet say about her behaviour?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

A big part of a vets training is in dealing with the owners. They are trained (whether they are capable of it upon working....) to deal with the owners concerns, appease the owners, listen to the owners, talk to the owner professionally, as well as on the owners terms. You should always pick a vet the same way you pick a doctor for yourself. Someone who's on the same page as yourself as far as the care you'd like the pet to have, you're beliefs on pet ownership, etc.

An example...we're new to this area. We have 3 large dogs. We only vaccinate for Rabies. We do not put any chemical applications on the dogs. We have our ways of dealing with pet issues.  When seeking out a vet, we explained this when they asked us about things. She was very willing to listen to our reasons, and let it be at that. She's smart in knowing if she's not on the same page as us, we can always go elsewhere.

Quoting holmes212:

They didnt seem to be concerned i almost feel like they ignored that fact. Im going to see when the guy vet is in and take her he does a great job and always seems concerned as for the others they kind of push it off.
Quoting EireLass:

2 cups 2x/day.But never mind the amount of food....what did the vet say about her behaviour?

holmes212
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
The male doctor is great there its the lady doctors that seem to bush things off and i didnt think to ask which doctor was answering my questions.. i am really worried about that pyromat or whatever its called that dogs can get. I read about it on google. The vet didnt mention anything about it

Quoting EireLass:

A big part of a vets training is in dealing with the owners. They are trained (whether they are capable of it upon working....) to deal with the owners concerns, appease the owners, listen to the owners, talk to the owner professionally, as well as on the owners terms. You should always pick a vet the same way you pick a doctor for yourself. Someone who's on the same page as yourself as far as the care you'd like the pet to have, you're beliefs on pet ownership, etc.

An example...we're new to this area. We have 3 large dogs. We only vaccinate for Rabies. We do not put any chemical applications on the dogs. We have our ways of dealing with pet issues.  When seeking out a vet, we explained this when they asked us about things. She was very willing to listen to our reasons, and let it be at that. She's smart in knowing if she's not on the same page as us, we can always go elsewhere.

Quoting holmes212:

Quoting EireLass:

2 cups 2x/day.But never mind the amount of food....what did the vet say about her behaviour?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OrientalLily
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Sounds like she needs to see the vet. While there, may I suggest getting her spayed? No dog should be intact unless used for registered breeding purposes.

I hope she's ok.
holmes212
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I think i explained it in a previous comment but cant remember i posted in another group also. But she has an inverted vuvla so the vet had us wait to spay her i had it sched for a month after we got her but had to cancel to see if first heat cycle would push it out

Quoting OrientalLily:

Sounds like she needs to see the vet. While there, may I suggest getting her spayed? No dog should be intact unless used for registered breeding purposes.

I hope she's ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie