Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: A few awesome home cleaning tips

Posted by   + Show Post

If I had an extra $50 a week that I couldn't use to pay debt or save and HAD to spend on something frivolous, I know what I would do: hire a cleaning lady. No hesitation with this one, folks. I like to clean, I feel like I've accomplished a great task, it gives me a good feeling inside, all of that...but I just don't have the time to keep it up. And then it gets dirty. And then just gross. But, I do love discovering insider know-how to make it a touch easier when I do finally tackle those dust bunnies. I've found some awesome hints to clean the house...and because I'm soooo nice, I'm passing them to you!

-- Be ready wherever you are. Keep some cleaning supplies and paper towels in each bathroom. This will save you time and you can jump on any nasties right then and there without having to go fetch them from the kitchen.

-- Rinse and repeat. You may think I'm talking about those instructions on the shampoo bottle, but I'm not. This is about the kitchen sink. If you make any one change to help this whole cleaning thing, make it this: rinse off your plates immediately. That goes for bowls of yogurt, those streaks of mustard on the plates, all of it. This will help that scrub time - after they have sat in the sink and before you chunk them in the dishwasher. And if you don't have a dishwasher and hand wash, but can't do it right then and there, even more important.

-- Heat it up to clean it off. The microwave gets coated with spills and sauces bubbling over. But it is one of the tougher surfaces to clean. The great tip: heat up a bowl of water for a minute -- the steam helps loosen the hardened crud, making it much easier to wipe off.

-- Mop it up. Okay, for all of you cat people out there, this is a good one. If you try to vacuum the hair on the floor, you are probably just blowing it all around. Grab a dust mop, push all of the hair together in one pile, and then suck it up with the vacuum attachment. Bam! No more blowing those stray hairs everywhere.

What are your best house cleaning tips? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/skynesher

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-69):
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Not to do it...lol!

KRIZZ25
I HATE BEING ALONE..EVERY ONE HAD A SOME BODY.I HAVE A NO BODY .
Yesterday at 7:47 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
IF U HAVE STANES IN UR COFFEE POT.GET U SOME ICE ,SALT WTH LITTLE WATER AND SHAKE ALL TOGETHER IN COFFEE POT.WILL TAKE IF OUT.
Lindalou907
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I AM a cleaning lady and this is all good advice. One thing I do is start at the top, always dust away cobwebs first, and work your way down, do floors last, Dust around the room in a linear fashion, don't be criss-crossing all over the place. Keep your supplies with you. At my home I keep a swiffer in each room and a vaccuum upstairs and down, it's all about having supplies ready where you are.

Lindalou907
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

If you spray cleaner all over the inside of the microwave and THEN microwave the bowl of water it's even easier to clean. Also, I keep baby wipes in each bathroom for quick touchups of sink and floor.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I love these tips. Thanks. I clean as I go when cooking. Saves time later.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2aspclboy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I already do this stuff and it does help cut down on my cleaning time, but my best cleaning tip is to have less stuff to clean. Seriously, downsizing is your friend...lol

Tigress22304
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I use teamwork.

I have 3 kids (1 bio 2 stepkids)

SD11 has to gather all the dishes around the house. and soaks them.

DD8 is special needs-so she's limited on what she can do-so she gathers up all dirty laundry/towels/bedding and tosses them in the laundry room.

SS6-puts away all shoes/hangs up the hoodies/coats etc.

Together thru each room we work together in picking up toys/trash

Then we take turns vacuuming/dusting/wiping down walls where needed.

My entire house is cleaned in under an hour (4 rooms)

I do the kitchen on my own.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Great tips! The microwave tip is awesome. I will have to try this the next time I clean my microwave. Thanks for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)